Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

I need some ideas...!

In the last 3-4 weeks i've had to top up coolant 3 times with prob about a litre every time. Pretty certain there are no external leaks, epansion cap seal seems ok.

Approx a week ago, checked oil and it was cloudy/murky on the dipstick and i couldn't see the metal of the dipstick.. :shock: - water in the oil.

Since then the oil hasn't been like that - just some little streaks of mayo.

Went to garage to get head gasket tested - he did the check to test for oil in coolant with bluey liquid in tube thingy. No oil in coolant. He was adament HG was ok and if i had just a cup of water in the oil the oil would be white all the time. He advised changing oil/filter to be on safe side and keep eye on it. He said the mayo could be due to short journeys.

Sometimes the car runs terrible from cold and then get better as it warms. Now it just just drives fine all the time :?

Since i've put new oil in the mayo has re-appeared. Only thing i can think of is oil cooler but thought that would more likey mean oil in coolant??

BTW she dont smoke

Sorry for long winded question, anybody got any ideas??

mayo in oil, is almost nearly blown head gasket.

mine was the same, mayo look, got it checked. they filled the header bottle up and started the engine, you never seen a waterfall like it.

when the head came off i had blown a corner of the gasket

RobyD, the situation you describe sounds like a surefire case of blown head gasket. The test performed on your C for this with the blue fluid and the tubey thing, (sounds a phraise out of a Allo Allo script!) Will serve only to establish if the coolant has been contaminated by combustion gasses. You may well find that the breach is between a water and an oilway, hence the mayo. Sure oil coolers can give way but useually go big style owing to the thin alloy structure. Short jouneys can also course this effect like your man says, you don,t say whether or not this is applicable to you.

Oops - its a 1.8 16v

Yeah i do do lots of short journeys that the moment.

I've lost a lot of coolant, where's it all gone coz there's never been any water on the outside of the engine and never any patches on floor? Will it of just been burnt? :?

Is there another test i could get done like a compression test to make sure its the HG coz im too used to shelling out on things that dont need doing!

Many thanks for everyones help

I would check for white smoke out of exhaust as if losing coolant then am sure you will see it..... failing that go for a long drive and get the revs up and engine nice and hot - head gasket problems will usually show then....

But the best way to test a head gasket is a leak down test - very few places do it though.......

Ok, probably give the cap a go

I always check for white smoke and theres never been any. I'll get the engine revved up and hot and look under the bonnet then like you say scott

Cheers

does it fog up inside when its cold out? could have blown the heater core like i did. would explain losing fluid with nothing on the ground.

Weather hasn't been cold for a while now so wouldn't know. Think the heater still works. Any way i could check it?

Cheers

heh. turn it on.

aim it at the windscreen and if the heater core is busted it should fog up. do it at night so its sort of cold out.

While we're on the subject of a heater matrix, are they as bad to replace as they look?

I suspect mine to be leaking as i've a coolant loss, and the pax footwell keeps getting wet!! I've bypassed the matrix for the time being, but it needs sorting.

Any ideas guys??

While we're on the subject of a heater matrix, are they as bad to replace as they look?

I suspect mine to be leaking as i've a coolant loss, and the pax footwell keeps getting wet!! I've bypassed the matrix for the time being, but it needs sorting.

Any ideas guys??

here's a link to a thread that might have the info you need

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewto ... ght=matrix

Right, definitly head gasket. Oil level really high on dipstick, mayo and had to top up water after 2 days! No external leaks. Car off the road :(

Funds are as usual pretty tight and i need the car running again as soon as poss. Need advice on getting it sorted.

As its done 95k with never having a head rebuild, Vince at Stealth Racing advised one. To have have him do it is 450+VAT and i would have to drive 50+ miles so not an option. Not sure if they would just supply a recon head??

My Dads pretty competent so we'll probably sort it out ourselves. What parts would people advise changing, difficulty, tools, cost of all parts etc. Is it worth the hassel or would it be better buying a recon head?

How do peoples 16Vs sound? Mine generally sounds smooth with bonnet close but when the bonnet it is up it can sound like a tank! Just wondering wheather to change tappets as well??

Or shall i make it simpler for myself and just do the gasket? She still runs alright except a bit rough when cold

Cheers for any advice, i want it sorted so i can go to Woburn on Sunday!

If i were doing a head id get.

1. new head bolts.

2. check all water connections. replace any o-rings as they turn to mush.

3. cam chain for valve.

4. usual cam belts and that.

5. new hex bolts for water pump and crank pulley.

So what else would be a good idea. Stem seals, valve guides etc. Do you need a special tool to get valve guides out.

Also,peoples views on ported and ported heads on an otherwise standard 95k 16v engine. just a thought :)

cheers

If i were doing a head id get.

1. new head bolts.

2. check all water connections. replace any o-rings as they turn to mush.

3. cam chain for valve.

4. usual cam belts and that.

5. new hex bolts for water pump and crank pulley.

You forgot:

Jubilee clips to replace the stupid VW spring clips on ALL hoses

8) :roll: :lol:

Stealers strike again :shock: :x 150 quid for a head gasket set! Its a common bl**dy service part :mad:

I decided to just do gaskets,stem seals,bolts and cambelt while im there and its gonna cost me about 300 quid in parts. Thought it would be fairly cheap doing it myself.

PS: should you change the cambelt tensioner when doing cambelt and does anyone know where to get genuine parts cheaper

Cheers

Think i tried them. Are they the ones in Luton that have the yellow advert in mags? They said they dont deal in engine parts :?

Yeah that's GPC, I think it depends who you deal with. One guy there is a right unhelpful "So and So", but another guy will get you anything. I bought a full set of valve springs and head gasket set from them.

Oh well, stumped up and ordered it all up from VAG in the end

I've got the head off and unsure of where leaks coming from. Gasket seems to be ok and cant c any cracks but that was about 12.30 lastnight! Weird thing was that there was 1 head bolt which came out completely dry and a bit rusty :? (bottom right looking at engine bay). All others were oily and fine. Coul the head be cracked internally which i wouldnt be able to see?

Also,loads of water in engine. Is there some kind of flush to get it out with?

i feel your pain.. sounds rough. take a good long look at that gasket and see if you can see where water passed around it. could be warped head in which case a new gasket will be a waste of time. but im not a good person to take head gasket and warped head advice from lol. good luck!!

Oh well, stumped up and ordered it all up from VAG in the end

I've got the head off and unsure of where leaks coming from. Gasket seems to be ok and cant c any cracks but that was about 12.30 lastnight! Weird thing was that there was 1 head bolt which came out completely dry and a bit rusty :? (bottom right looking at engine bay). All others were oily and fine. Coul the head be cracked internally which i wouldnt be able to see?

Also,loads of water in engine. Is there some kind of flush to get it out with?

Sounds like your opening a "can of worms". I'd get a reconditioned head if it was my car.