Sign in to follow this  
cookie 1.8 16 valver

Engine Things

:)

Hi All

I have just got a 1.8 16 valver and got to say firstly what a great car. I am usually a vaux man myself but couldn't believe what a great package the corrado is, i know the others are more powerfull etc but for a 1.8 it pulls' fantastic ideal for over here on the IOM.

As anticipated with buying a cheap/need work job I need to get it up and running so the misses doesn't moan too much, im sure your all aware what that's like.

It had a huge lip hole in the air hose that connects air filter / throttle body which as you can imagine made it rough as hell, does anyone have one of these "lying around" I need both sections.

I did a make shift fix for now and replaced dizzy cap, arm, leads, plugs ok, and ignition coil and it made a noticible differnce but I am still having trouble with it. The idle surges but is fine at speeds above 30mph. It is also pluming out black smoke when idling which I gather it's running too rich and need to adjust the mixture at the air filter ?

Only since I did the other bits has it started to burn oil on idle I think this is a breather hose blocked as there was no sign or smell of burning before I did the jobs, does anyone have any thoughts on the best places to clear out etc. Now it's breathing properly it's obviosuly showing faults I couldn't see before and hence why I think the breather hoses are blocked as before I sorted the air filter hose etc it ran fine and never was any smoke, what do you guys think ?

Thanks for looking and hope to speak to you all soon on the forum.

Cookie

:-P

Welcome to The Forum... 8)

Sorting out that pipe, and checking over the vacuum hoses around there will almost certainly sort out most of your problems... get a post in the "wanted" section for the bits you need 'cos I'm sure some people on here will have the bits you need... 8)

Firstly welcome to the forum and C ownership...

Sounds like you're working through things systematicaly and can't be too far off having this running sweet... What do you mean when you say that you get surges at idle? If it's hunting then this could be the ISV (located on the right of the inlet manifold) this can normally be cleaned out with carb cleaner but if it's really bad then may want replacing... I currenly have the same problem with mine but this will get sorted under the warrenty on my new engine!

As for the burning oil issues I'm afraid I don't have any bright ideas but I'm sure someone else will be able to suggest a few solutions...

Hope that helps a bit

Phil

EDIT: you may want to start a thread in the wanted section for the breather pipe that you're after as it will get noticed quicker 8)

Welcome to the forum - tell us a bit more about the car and I'll keep my eye out for you :)

It's not the red but slightly fading red one is it? (Nothing wrong, just that's about the only early valver that I can think of over here).

Hi guys

Thank you for the warm welcome guys !

Vr6 will look out for you too, mine is silver. Currently just got 5 spoke TSW but have some CSM multispoke 17" to go on shortly.

Its defo surging on idle and also when you are going low revs it's like a kangaroo ! so sure it must be one of the breathers.

yeah, vacuum leaks and the split in the main inlet tube REALLY ain't gonna help your idle to be stable... Get 'em sorted and see how it is then... 8)

Guys interesting one, I just took the lead off the ISV and it made no differnce altogether. Also I pulled the hose that runs to the air filter pipe, running along the length of the engine to the ISV, and it increased in rev speed, if you put your hand over the outlet where this pipe normally goes on it slowed down to how it runs with this pipe on, seems a bit strange this pipe is making no differnce dont you think ?