Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

Is my Storm finally slowing down?!

Now I'm not quite sure what or if there is a problem but my '95 Storm seems to be fading slightly in the power department. I had Stealth carry out the cylinder head overhaul/chains/clutch combo (100K finally arrived) along with a service and a few bits around 6-7 weeks back, and in the last month or so have noticed a slight power loss especially noticeable while pushing second gear.

Obviously I don't doubt Vince & Co's workmanship but could the work undertaken affect performance at all?

I'm definately not imagining things and no I haven't just got used to the car as I've had it for years now.

So the only logical thing I can think of is that the engine is maybe starting to put its' feet up and take it a bit easy and it being coincidence regarding the overheal etc?

Any help or similar experiences would set my mind at ease!

Thanks

MB

Only way to tell is get it on the rolling road methinks. How convenient, there's a rolling road day on Saturday in Camberley :D

Link here

Unfortunately I'm away this weekend (and Camberley only down the road from me :( ) but my brother had a Gtech Pro thingy which we tested on my mates RX-8 and it gave near on exact manufacturers figures and when tested on my C returned results of 7-7.5 seconds 0-60!!

At a raceday meeting some time back I was getting times of 6.2-6.4????

The car isn't standard and the last rolling road figures were 210Bhp/223lb ft! So you can see why I am concerned!!

Cheers anyway mate.

Mine feels a little like that at the mo....also takes a while to start. I'm putting it down to a bad main earth, as I disturbed them when I fitted a new rad and hoses. Will be redoing the earths when I fit my aircon.

Just an idea.

You need to VAG-COM scan it. If it's down on power that much that it's noticeable there's probably a duff sensor.

Cheers for the replies, regarding the VAG-COM test I have tested the car with my own VAG-COM interface (on VAG-COM 409-1) and there were no engine faults reported, although I'm not sure if the "homekit" is as thorough as the real thing. Regarding the CPS, is it cheap to buy and fit just so I don't get too peeved if it isn't the problem!! But a loss of 25Bhp would feel about right.

Thanks again

MB

Higher summer air temperature/low atmospheric pressure could be a contributory factor. Have you got a/c which you have started to use again recently. It all takes its toll.

best wishes

RB

Higher summer air temperature/low atmospheric pressure could be a contributory factor. Have you got a/c which you have started to use again recently. It all takes its toll.

best wishes

RB

That was my initial thought as well.

I think people underestimate atmospherics. Mine felt awsome on a late trip home from work around 10 last night, i was just lapping it up!

Felt really flat thismorning in the warm air.

Couldn't agree more, mine eats cold mornings in the winter too, probably means it's running rich knowing mine though :roll:

My old 'yota GTi loved damp mornings, back end of the car didn't however!

StormVR6, at what rpm does it feel lacking? Your Schrick flap might be jamming? I think your scanner home kit should pick up the cam sensor, but it's £30 from VW and you tend to lose 30hp as the ECU pulls back the ignition from about 3000rpm onwards, so you'll get a mighty trough on the torque curve.

I still maintain your engine was superb. I've never seen a VR idle as smoothly as yours does and that was with the O2 probe disconnected!! Did you ever get that sorted?

Again cheers for the help, yes the weather could well be the factor and is a more than feasible explaination but I dont seem to recall this kind of performance drop over the last 4 summers!!

Yes Kev, Vince rewired the probe plug last year as the white wire was somehow "cut" thus improving fuel economy slighty and dropping the almighty spike on the emissions!

There doesn't seem to be a trough in acceleration it just doesn't pick up as well as it use to. As I said earlier the standing start performance is definately down from previous results. The VAG-COM is all clear (apart from the intermittent ABS fault!) and only the throttle position looks out at 8.7 although it still ticks over at a smooth 680rpm.

Anyway I'm going to stick in some injector cleaner for my long journey this weekend and see what happens. :)

Cheers people

MB

Well I had a good weekend, nice long drive with a full tank of Optimax/Injector cleaner and achieved bugger all!

Got my brother to test his Gtech Pro thingy on a high end car (my mates' RX-8) and a low end (my brothers' Rover TD) and both returned extremely accurate results regarding 0-60 and power at wheels compared to the manufacturers figures.

Mine again returned an average 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds and a power at wheels figure of 124 Bhp !!!!! The last rolling road dynoplot figures were 166.5 Bhp at the wheels.

To confirm this drop in power I had a drive out with a mate and his Honda S2000 2-3 months back and wasn't off of his pace by much at all (at certain speeds I kept up with him) and tonight I had to go nearly all out to keep up with a MX-5 !!

Now sorry to go on but I checked the oil level yesterday to find it was actually 3-4mm over the MAX level (not good Stealth..thank you), is that enough to get into the cat. and in turn buggering it and slowing the car??

Anymore suggestions or help is very much appreciated

cheers

MB