Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

What Oil for a Corrado G60

I use quantium gold at the moment but i've used mobile 1 for a few years too, I've had no problems over the last 5 years.

PS oil change every 6,000 miles

Sandy G60

I use Quantum gold in the G60 and quantum silver in the Gti. Good stuff!

The first number (5 for gold 10 for silver) is the cold start rating: the low temperature viscosity where the "W" refers to low-temperature (40°C). While the second number refers to the oil viscosity at 100°C.

So in theory, a 5W40 and a 10W40 should perform the same a operating temps but the 5W40 should be less viscous when cold.

Now i understand, so the 15w40 actually won't help with the rattling i get from cold starts. I'll swap it for the 10w40!

Cheers for that mate

......cold mornings it has become increasingly noisier at the top end......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dont you like your car? You might as well put vegitable oil in if you are going to do that!!!!

:D :lol: :D :lol:

What do you suggest i use? The noisy top end will quieten off after 5mins of driving. I want an oil that will reduce the rattling when starting from cold.

You might want to clean out the strainer on the oil pump. If that is covered in bits, it'll reduce your oil pressure, until the oil is up to temp.

Working on the symptom, is not the same as fixing the problem.

Gavin

What do you suggest i use?

not so much what do I suggest you use, more what do I suggest you do!!!

Dont go near the top end untill oil temp has hit at least 70 degc, all oils are very viscouse when cold.

There is the obvious statement that the oil needs time to coat all moving parts, this comes from the following reason, and others i'm sure!

There is a 3 bar presure switch after the oil pump, this ensures that the oil pressure through your engine is not too high and putting huge stresses on gaskets, however what has to be concidered is that the volume of oil flowing throught this switch is much less when cold than hot, therefore the amount of oil in your head, charger and bottom end bearings is compromised, thus it is noisey for the first while. Remember that noisey engines are not happy!!

You might want to clean out the strainer on the oil pump. If that is covered in bits, it'll reduce your oil pressure, until the oil is up to temp.

Working on the symptom, is not the same as fixing the problem.

Gavin

I keep meaning to do mine, and drop a windage tray into if i havn't got one in all ready.

According to the G60 owner´s manual, everyone should use Semi syntetic 10w-40 for medium temperatures, for colder temperatures 5w-40. For example: Portugal and Spain should use 15w-40 for true engine safety in summer! Of course you can use fully syntetic also! (better). I always use Shell Helix Ultra Syntetic 15w-40 and i am very satisfied! Very high quality oil! :)

Anyone know where to get 10W60 oil, as that's what most G60-drivers over in Germany use (wish I had taken a 5-litre bottel when I was over there during Xmas, only costs €30) to cope with higher engine temperatures?

Cheers,

Tempest

If you have got high oil temp issues. Cos you drive like you stole it and have a chip and pulley. You should consider an oil cooler. Even giving mine a real battering on a track, the temp never goes above 120. Without the cooler it used to do that just going to work.

If you remove the heat exchanger too, it'll give your rad fan an easier life. The water system will have a much reduced work load.

Gavin

Anyone know where to get 10W60 oil, as that's what most G60-drivers over in Germany use (wish I had taken a 5-litre bottel when I was over there during Xmas, only costs €30) to cope with higher engine temperatures?

Cheers,

Tempest

From here:- http://www.castrolclassicoils.co.uk/

Castrol RS 10W/60 - £27.99 for 4 litres

I think Halfords still sell it, not sure.

I used it many years ago and it's very good.

K

Nope, my local Halfords don't do it :(

Tried my local Oscott's (trade only, but hey, run my own company, so no probs there :D ), they ran out :mad:

Tempest

You tried up at Elliots on the London Road? They do seem to sell a pretty good range of oils from what I remeber! :)

You tried up at Elliots on the London Road?

Yes, thanks for the tip, Jim, but have already tried them, no cigar, they don't do it. Will just have to wait till Oscott's are back in stock again, or next time I'm over in Germany (every bleeding DIY market has got the stuff over there; kicking myself I din't bring a bottle last time I was there :mad: )

Might just have to use 10W40 in the meantime, as an oil change is imminent 8)

Tempest

Yayhay !!! Finally managed to get the 10W60 oil for my G60 smiley-dance.gif Got it from Oscott's (you need a trade account with 'm), at a reasonable £26 including the dreaded VAT.

Even funnier was that the oil filter that I got this morning is by Wix, a subsidiary of Dana Corporation. OK, you might say, what's funny there? Well, "wix" in German means "wank" :lol: . The shop folks didn't quite get it why I broke out in laughter seeing the packaging :D

Tempest

I think I can get into Oscotts, as I work for City College - and our motor vehicle training department have setup an account with them for getting parts. So just need to show my staff ID card and in I go.

Hehe :)

Oops, hadn't realised there was a word filter in operation here:

"wix" in German means "****"

it's the w-word, folks, as in w*a*n*k

Just wanted to clarify that, end of German lessons :lol:

Tempest