Sign in to follow this  
Wilko

Supercharged VR6????

Excuse my ignorance as a newcomer to this forum but i have read in the back of a certain car mag that VW made a limited edition corrado which was a supercharged VR6. Anybody know if this is true or was i daydreaming, even better has anybody got or ever seen one, would like to hear about performance, cheers.

I was never aware that VW or VW Motorsport made a supercharged VR6? But you can get aftermarket kits for the VR6 engine from companies like Vortech that take you up to about 250/260BHP. Sposed to be a riot from some of the comments i've heard though i've yet to go out in one :)

Isnt guy heartly's pushing about 300bhp now? S/C VR's are indeed a riot, the howl of the VR6 engine backed up by the whistling supercharger sounds like nothing else I've heard and they go like the clappers! Never heard of a factory produced one though...

Yeah.. but Guy has had a lot more done to his than just a simple supercharger installation ;)

Thanks for clearing that one up guys, must have mis read the VW Produced part, sounds like fun though, where can i get my hands on such a kit? is it dear? and is it hard to fit?

The kits are expensive.. and fitment is probably best left to a professional, unless you think you are up to the job! I believe its a good 10+ hours of workshop time though. I'm not sure on the exact price but around £3000 or so for the kit and fitment?

If you want some good, honest, impartial advice on the costs and work involved, Vince Saiya at Stealth Racing is the man to talk to.. their website is @ http://www.stealthracing.co.uk and provided he's not too tied up in the workshop, he's happy to have a chat about any car queries you might have.

Thanks Jim, a little out of my price range i think. Any other tips or ideas for squeezing a little more performance out of my VR6?

all depends on how much money u have too spend? air filter and exhaust is always a good start to get a few extra horses & wont cost mega money.

Truthfully not really! The VR6 isn't a hugely tuneable car in terms of bang for your buck. You can boost power up with lots of modifications but you need a generous bank roll!

A popular modification is a Schrick variable inlet manifold which, if I understand it correctly, is a very very very simple version of VTEC. Changes the characteristics of the engine a bit, giving you a bit more grunt and a few more horsepower.. but not cheap at the £1000 mark plus fitting.

Oh the fun of the SC'd VR you guys dont know what you are missing, it is well worth the money!

Thanks again mate, 1000 is a bit more in my price range, already have sports exhaust and air filter which does help but would love a few more horses under there, might have to look into that option.

Oh the fun of the SC'd VR you guys dont know what you are missing, it is well worth the money!
Next year ill know what ive been missing 8)....if everything goes too plan *touch wood*

Bare in mind you can buy 2nd hand kits for between £900 and £1800. Fitment is very straight forward. Performance wise, put it this way: I lined up against my mate in his 996 Carrera (300 bhp) both cars in 2nd gear and my corrado just pulled away. Wasn't even close. The corrado is a fairly light car so with an s/c and 270 hp it will give you a power to weight of around 230 hp which is more than a BMW M3.

Everyone seems to worry about how hot c vrs run compared to golfs/ventos me included and its hard to suck anything other than warm air into the thing. So how on earth do you get enough cooling for a supercharged vr c? And where does the blower sit?

Thinking ahead as still sorting the standard set up on mine! But i know from experience more go is adictive and resistance is futile, so i will be schricking then more at some point. And where do you find a VGI!?

Everyone seems to worry about how hot c vrs run compared to golfs/ventos me included and its hard to suck anything other than warm air into the thing. So how on earth do you get enough cooling for a supercharged vr c? And where does the blower sit?

Thinking ahead as still sorting the standard set up on mine! But i know from experience more go is adictive and resistance is futile, so i will be schricking then more at some point. And where do you find a VGI!?

The charger has an intake pipe which goes (through the hole where the carbon canister is located) under the wing so the filter sits in cold air. Running an oil cooler is a good idea too. I found that the car actually runs at normal or slightly lower temps with the charger on so the s/c itself acts as an oil cooler.

chargershot.jpg

Well said

Mine's fine but there's a lot of Misnomers about charger, nitrous and turbos, generally from people that have never even been in one or know anyone with one!

Chris

corradovr6sc, are you using the air filter plant pot?

I suppose i shoud put a pic of mine up too then but i've given my polished manifold to chrishill but i'll do another one shortly and never finished putting the plastics back on the engine but i will sometime.

My charger is the Vortech V9fSQ running 6psi though i do have a 8 or is it 9psi pulley, not sure.

Chris

It dosen't make the car run any hotter than stock. It'll run hotter by you constantly having your foot on the gas. :wink: You can run an intercooler on the car if you want to run more than 12psi. My filter for the charger is sitting behind the front bumper so its not sucking in the hot engine bay air.

Heres mine with the Schrick.

DSC00907.sized.jpg

Heres a Schimmel car with a short ram intake. The battery was moved for the intercooler.

DSCN0730.JPG

I will glady take out anybody and scare the pants off them if they see me at a show, or want to come to mine one day! :twisted:

corradovr6sc, are you using the air filter plant pot?

I suppose i shoud put a pic of mine up too then but i've given my polished manifold to chrishill but i'll do another one shortly and never finished putting the plastics back on the engine but i will sometime.

My charger is the Vortech V9fSQ running 6psi though i do have a 8 or is it 9psi pulley, not sure.

Chris

Do you mean a bag which fits over the air filter? If so I'm not, but I've got the plastic splash guard installed under the wing to protect the filter.

I took my car in for a service a few months ago and the guys were working on a supercharged R32 Mk2 golf :shock: - I kid you not- the guy fired it up and everything- reckons they got 160mph out of it but that you were better of staying away from corners where possible :)

Hey all,

Does anyone have any info or experience of running or building a new 24V supercharged V6 lump (same as V6 4Motion from Mk4 Golf and Passat B5) in a Corrado or in other cars (FWD only), wouldn't this make more power and be better all round in many ways ?

Cheers