Sign in to follow this  
Doire Bhoy

Over heating problems!! HELP!

Just had my C VR6 into a garage for a 51,000 service, usual things oil/filter change. The mechanic recommended putting in Slick 50 so he did, after getting the car outa the garage and driving for then mins the temp gauge was up at 110 with flashing red light. The mechanic reckons it might be a sensor. Seems abit of coincidence to me but hey what do I know. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Slick 50, is it suitable for the VR6? Could this have been the cause?

Cheers

It would be kinda obvious if the water temp was 110 or more - you'd see steam. Did you see steam?

Don't see how Slick 50 can effect the water temp though, unless it's caused a blockage in the oilways, but that would be kinda unusual (and cause for a blown engine much more quickly than the time it takes to heat 7 litres of water to 110 degrees!).

seen the temp gauge going up and the light coming on, got out checked the water which was steaming, dont know how hot its meant to be but it was bubbling. the temp always sat at 80/90 no matter what so wanna make sure he hasnt done something he shouldnt have then blame it on bad luck. So to clarify the slick 50 couldnt have done anything?

slick 50 in the engine at 51k, get it out, unless there is engine damage there is no need for oil additives.

It's completely pointless, but I doubt it's caused your immediate problems. More likely you've got a seized thermostat.

If the top rad hose is boiling hot yet the bottom one's cold then that would point to a duff stat... If the VR stat is at the bottom of the engine like all the others, that is...! :oops:

cheers all, the mechanic thought it would be the thermostat so confirms wat he said. does it need replaced or fixed? is it expensive to replace?

I know the VR stat is slightly different to the 4-cyl ones, but dunno if it's more expensive... Get a genuine VAG one though, should only be about £15 or so...

EDIT: VAG part number for a VR stat is 075 121 113 D, if that helps...