Sign in to follow this  
cookie 1.8 16 valver

Oil Pump

Hi Guys

After getting the car almost running fine after fixing the bodged jobs I gave the engine a good flush with oil so it became nice and golden coming out and filled 'er up.

Now when cold it sounds like an old typewriter but when hot smooth as silk (not common i know !) so wondering if it is the oil pump that's given up the ghost ?

Is there any easy way to check, does anyone know where the power feed to the pump is, I was thinking put some power to this when she is off as then you should be able to hear something ?

If it is the pump, what's replacement like ? is it just a case of dropped the sumppan and replacing or is there more to it ?

Cheers Guys

Dave

ps. Im using semi synth 15/40 oil if that helps

AFAIK all VWs have a crank-driven mechanical oil pump. The warning light would be on if it had "failed" but I suppose it's possible that it's weak. They are pretty hardy though, on the whole, and rarely fail. You can attach an oil pressure gauge if you want to decide if it's providing enough pressure.

Most engines sound more noisy when cold though, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Leave it be. As the engine warms up, all the internals will expand to fill their respective gaps(?).

Noise when cold isn't a problem as long as it goes away.

I shouldn't worry about having clean oil come out of it. That's the point of the oil, to lubricate as well as hold in susoension contaminates until the next oil change. Unless you do really short, less than a couple of miles, there's no benefit from doing what you have done really.

Gavin

Thanks guys, that's 1 less job !

Appreciate what you are saying h100vw but the problem was I didn't know when it was last done and with all the bodge jobs that have been done I was more inclinded to ensure everything was tip top when I finished.

Like a woman if you know where she's been thats ok but if not you take precautions ! lol

just take the rocker cover off and start her up, if oil pumps out everywhere then the pumps working ! thats what i did... :flasingsmile: