Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Rear Brace

Has anyone braced the rear of their C?

I've got my eye on Trimsport's as it's fully reversible with no drilling required, and at £98, whilst not cheap....not as expensive as the other option I considered, which is Neuspeed's rather stupendous 4 point triangulated beast, at £180. But this needs drilling in several places, so not reversible.

A triangulated one is obviously going to be the most effective as the rear 'tub' of a FWD car is subjected to twist, more than the lateral pull that you see at the front struts. So how effective is a strut-to-strut one going to be? Are they more show than go?

Cheers

K

Has anyone braced the rear of their C?

I've got my eye on Trimsport's as it's fully reversible with no drilling required, and at £98, whilst not cheap....not as expensive as the other option I considered, which is Neuspeed's rather stupendous 4 point triangulated beast, at £180. But this needs drilling in several places, so not reversible.

A triangulated one is obviously going to be the most effective as the rear 'tub' of a FWD car is subjected to twist, more than the lateral pull that you see at the front struts. So how effective is a strut-to-strut one going to be? Are they more show than go?

Cheers

K

There definately a worth while buy. You'll notice the difference the first time you take a bend. The car stays flatter and doesn't pitch onto the outside front wheel as much. Basically, your suspension works better.

should add, if you've got std suspension don't bother as it's a mod that works best on a car which is putting an increase load on the shell, ie running coilovers or very low profile tyres.

I really dont see the trimsport making a big difference as the bits that hold it to the car look like a couple of exaust clamps. Bit flimsy if you ask me.

Nuespeed one looks good though ive heard the pipework they use is a bit on the thin side. I reckon it would make more difference than the trimsport one though.

Bear in mind ive never tried either so thats all imo, though I reckon ill probably get one from somewhere at some point. Group buy? :)

Kev, all the posts ive seen about you reverting some of your car back to standard I dont think ive seen you mention the rear arb? Is it still fitted? If not did you notice a big difference again with it being removed.

I really dont see the trimsport making a big difference as the bits that hold it to the car look like a couple of exaust clamps. Bit flimsy if you ask me.

How would you know if you haven't got one? Their rock solid and awkward to fit. You also need to trim abit off the parcel shelf support too from memory.

Like I said all imo as ive never tried them. Fairly obvious to see that the Nuespeed should make more of a difference being bolted on and triangulated.

Ive got the Trimsport one in mine and as A20 LEE says you really can tell the difference.

Just curious, if you undo one side of them can it be moved up and down at all or does it stay fairly solid?

Ive got the Trimsport one in mine and as A20 LEE says you really can tell the difference.

posh system, how long you had that?

Just curious, if you undo one side of them can it be moved up and down at all or does it stay fairly solid?

If you undo one side of mine it would move around a bit, but when its all done up its rock soild. You could jump up and down on it if you were short enough LOL

Cheers guys, I suspected it would stiffen up the rear quite nicely. Even the new TT sport has a rear brace, so there must be something in it.

As Joe said, the triangulated one would probably negate the need for a rear ARB but it's too much of a mission to fit and it's expensive.

Glad to hear the Trimsport one works, I think that's the one I'll try, even though the 'exhaust clamps' are a bit ugly.

I like G60Jet's the best but I don't like drilling unless there's no other way.

Joe, yep the rear Neuspeed is off and there was no change in ride quality at all, so those rose joints do a nice job, but in terms of roll, it's barely changed so the H&Rs/Konis are effective also. I do miss the sharper turn-in and lighter steering the Neuspeed afforded though. I might get another one if I go for the blower GB etc etc....