Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

Alloys and tyres sizes

Bought a 1.8 16v Corrado this morn. it comes totally standard with 195/50/15 profile tyres on however if i was to put my 15's from my mk4 polo which are 15x6.5 with 195/45/15 tyres on how much would it affect gearing and speedo would it read fast or slow?

Reason i want to use my older alloys is cause well i really like them compared to standard Corrado ones.

Opinions please?

You will be going slower with the smaller wheels relative to the larger ones. But you'll get marginally better acceleration :)

T.

faster accelerations good. how much would the speedo be out or in simple laymans language with 195/45 what speed will my speedo show when im supposed to be doing 30mph.and no funny answers like 30mph.

There's little programs on the web for working it out. I'll try and have a wee search.

T.

current:- 195/50 R15 Diameter:- 576mm Circumference:- 1809.56mm

new:- 195/50 R15 Diameter:- 556.5mm Circumference:- 1748.29mm

Difference: -3.39% which is -19.5mm less in diameter and -61.27mm in circumference.

Speedo reads 70mph, actual speed is 67.63mph

But your speedo will read over the actual true speed with the standard tyres.

You can usually go + or - 2.5% difference without affecting gearing and speedo. But since you are going to smaller wheels it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

T.

those were the figures i found using rochfordtyres. so if i go through a 30mph with speedo showing 30pmh i'm actually doing 27ish mph? correct?

which means i can use my old rims...result! you Corrado people are helpful arent you? :wink: