Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Tramlining.

A question for those of you who have Corrado's with aftermarket alloys and suspension,which,I suspect,is pretty much everyone on here. :lol:

Does your car suffer from tramlining problems?

If you go to overtake on a two way road,does the car twitch as you go over the white lines?

Does it try to track in the camber of the road surface and tend to follow surface cracks and blisters?

If your answer is yes,please tell me if and how you overcame the problem. :-P

yes

yes

yes

they both did it to some degree in standard form too

severity depends how much throttle you use

solution? its not that much of a problem so I don't really care :lol:

Aye, mine does it too! Mine was ok until I fitted stupid wheels and now it tramlines like bugger! But I don't care anyway, cos the wheels look the b0ll0cks 8)

cant say i've really noticed it, then again the roads around here are so s**t your wheels go all over the place anyway!

yeah, mine used to tramline on the 17x7" wheels it came with, but it's much better on the 16x7.5" that it now runs on...

J-DUB suffered a little more on the same 16" wheels when I was running 11mm spacers on the front wheels giving me an offset of 19mm... But then, she was also running LOTS of camber which made her a little twitchy but meant that she turned in VERY quickly! :twisted: 8)

I have no idea what the offset of the 17s was though, but they do sit in the arches A LOT further than the 30offset 16s do...

Yep, mine tramline like mad with 17x7 and cheap suspension set-up.

It's now better but does still a little with 17 x 8 and Koni coilovers. Also it was really bad when my bump stops were F**ked, made an amazing difference when replaced with new ones.

myn does it sometimes.. find it worse in the 1st lane of motorways & dual carriageways were the road sunk due to heavy facking lorries!!

I think you'll find most Corrados do it, it's a 'character' of the chassis and one shared with the MK2 and MK1 Golfs. Several things contribute to it but simple things like tyres and the road surface itself are often overlooked and the car is blamed.

Only completely sterile cars like basic Vectras etc seem immune from tramlining, but the skanky OE tyres, mega deep offset and blancmange bushes soak up any wayward handling.

I don't mind a bit of fighting through the column, it's the car trying to communicate :D

Oh and mine trammies on bad roads more with my current 15" tyres than it did with 8x17s wearing Avon ZZ3s......big directional tread blocks don't like broken tarmac.

Gullies worn-in by lorries in Bally's example affect just about every car I've driven, so the Corrado isn't alone on that one!! Even my missus' ickle Rover 25 with it's puny 145 section tyres tramlines....it's the sh1t UK roads.