Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Weird thing this morning (brakes?)

Hrm.. dont think this is anything important.

Went to drive to work this morning - the car had been sat for about a day and a half. As I went to actually move, there was a loud clunk / thud from under the car as I moved.

Now I assume this was some kind of ceased calliper / joint somewhere or something because the car had been sat out in the freezing weather.. but it seemed to come from all around?

I have suspected my rear callipers are a bit stiff these days.. could they have been a candidate?

Cheers!

Don`t worry mine siezed on the other day to having had plenty of experiance with these calipers they do clonk like that, probably the freezing temperatures, mine were fine the next day but last weekend i took the wheels off and gave them a good cleen with brake cleaner took the pads out and copper greased them and sprayed them with a light grease around the spring mechanism. makes a BIG differance..

my rear discs used to always have a bit of a wee bit of a stickiness to them first thing in the morning....more so on a cold and/or wet morning,but since i had my rear discs changed and the handbrake adjusted and everything that needed greased done i haven't had any sort of stickiness since

Hm... if I didn't have such a large list of other jobs I want doing, I would ask Stealth take a look at new pads & discs at my next service (end of Feb/early March) but as it is, I am determined to get a decent exhaust system next!

:)

I've found this to be typical of both the 16v and VR6 and nothing to worry about and I'm sure will be true of all models. Park up for a couple of days and the back pads tend to stick to the discs and when you move they come off with a bang :shock: Not to be confused with the cable/lever getting frozen on - you can tell that's happened coz when you release the handbrake its all floppy (see your medic for advice) ie no pull from the caliper return springs. I just leave it in gear with the handbrake off.