Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 engine dilemma

I've had my car for over two years now and apart from the usual service and one coil pack change i've had no problems with it at all.

The car was stood for about a month in winter and when i started it was throwing out blue smoke it coughs missfires and smells of fuel read bad.

it drives but misses like mad, also when you approach a junction it just turns off for fun every single time. Im now unable to run the car on a day to day because of these problems. The question is where now?, do i get the engine rebuilt which will cot 1500 at least shall i just swap it for another one. The one thing i thought is if i got a valver engine fitted i could run the car for a year or so with that and on the side re-build my VR?

Is the blue smoke still coming when you drive it now? Change the plugs first, then you might have reason to decide whether it needs a rebuild or not.

the blue smoke is major bad!, the car had a full service 2 months ago, plugs are brand new.A friend of mine said somthing about ruining the plugs by leaving the car standing, surly that is nonsense.

You mean the plugs were changed AFTER it stood for a while, or BEFORE?

The only thing I was wondering about was if there was any oil seepage from the valve stem it would make it's way down onto the plugs over time. Honestly though, your best indicator as to what's going on in the cylinders is the colour/condition of the plugs. My guess is oily oily...

How much oil is it using right now?

plugs were changed before it was parked, cant say how much oil its using as i have not driven it much at all. its only got part history so my one worry is it might have more miles than its showing.