Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Sub woofer enclosure capacity

I have a JL Audio 12WO which requires a sealed sub box capacity if 28 litres, which is huge in a Corrado boot.

I'm prepared to accept a small reduction in its performance to gain some boot space, but will a smaller enclosure cause any harm to the sub?

If you want big bass from small cabinets, Image Dynamics are your best bet.

If you want to stay with JL, why not drop down to the 10" as that can work in 14 litres.

Making the 12 work in a cabinet too small will make it very inefficient and it will sound sh1t and won't drop at all.

O.k. cheers Kev, if my C does not sell soon, this could be my next project partly inspired by reading the group buy thread you have been doing. I'm fed up with 1/3 of my boot space being filled by a huge sub box.

I was going to suggest you join the GB but assumed you would know about that already and didn't want to push, LOL!

The capacity of that alcove is about 18 litres, which subs like the JL 6Wv2, W3 and Image Dynamics IDQ have been designed for! I think the IDQ 10 can work in a box as small as 0.3 cu ft!

Kev,

My 12" Alpine sub is designed for a box between 22 and 48 litres. I understand that the moulded enclosure is 18 litres - will this affect the sound much?

Cheers

Matt