Sign in to follow this  
Incredibilios

Nearly a 'rado owner........Focus RS anyone??

There are plenty of things that can and do go wrong. The same could be said for any 10+ year old car that's been pushing out up to 200bhp.

It comes with the territory. You have to find the balance between reliability and performance because the two aren't usually synonymous.

A 1 litre Nissan micra may well be reliable and cheap to run, but you get no performance to speak of. A Mitsubishi Evo will have loads of power and handling, but it doesn't come cheaply as far as servicing costs and, on the older models, I'm sure there's lots of things that go wrong as well.

I think as Matt has said recently - have a look on any forums for cars of a similar age and performance and they will all have their own problems.

It all comes down to what you buy in the first place but don't expect to buy any old VR and not have to spend another penny on it.

But, buy a good one and you could be quite fortunate.

Have a read through the buyers guide if you haven't already done so and just have a flick through the various forums to find out what can go wrong - but don't forget that people rarely post to say that everything's alright, so you're likely to see more of the negative side of things.

Nah, great minds think alike ... and idiots seldom differ ;)

Did I? Apologies if I did - I remember you making a point along the same sort of lines.

Just going to find your post.....

Edit: I mentioned a Nissan Micra and the gist was the same :p

but a BIG reason is that VW's from the 80s/90s have an awseome reputation for reliability (I know more recent models haven't really maintained this).

It depends on the car you find unfortunately, there's no hard and fast rules with these things. Some VR6s never ever need any attention and others need it constantly. On average though, they are bomb proof.

A number of them have surpassed 100K now, which always was time for a head build on 80s VWs, so don't be surprised if it starts to burn a wee bit of oil. Good time to do the chains and clutch.

The G60 has a bad reputation for it's supercharger and the VR has one for the infamous timing chains snapping, but neither occur in such great numbers that the cars deserve a big white skull and crossbones sticker.

Does anyone remener Vince and Penny from Just Good Friends?

Sorry just wondered if it would turn red or not lol

I know I know I am going....

I don't think I have read of any VR chains actually getting to the point where they snapped. I do think the 80's and early 90's german cars were very well built. Being a 6 cylinder, there is more to go wrong, but I guess theoretically, there is less pressure on the engine as the power is dispersed over 6 cylinders as opposed to 4, well thats my thoughts anyway, as was said they do use a bit of oil if it is higher mileage, I have heard people saying 1 litre per 1,000 but I always put a bit more than that to be on the safe side and change it every 4k ish (mines done 138k now and running very well), £15 for 5 litres is cheap, an engine rebuild is very expensive.