Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Vr6 -- Pink & Miss?

Got mine going again with new fuel lines, hooooorah!

Anyway, loving my first blat but it did something strange a couple of times yesturday and again once tonight.

On full throttle at about 3500 i get a big hesitation and very obvious pinking for a split second then it continues up the rev range fine. Its idling ok and pulls like a train, just does this ever now and then?

Im still not happy with my plug leads, could it be these? Its the pinking that bothers me, but have no idea what would make a VR pink with all the auto timing etc going on? I can put it in 5th at 35mph and nail it and it wont pink, its only every now and then at around the 3500/4000 when its really coming on cam that it does it just for a second?

Fuel pump? Plug Leads? Timming chains--forget i mentioned that one please! :? :?:

PS: Only ever use Optimax before fuel is mentioned, and i didnt pinch any of the fuel lines, honest.

I would expect pinking at very high revs if fuel supply was an issue myself, so I doubt it's that.

I would suggest right now that you do the ECU reset and see how it goes.

what would make a VR pink with all the auto timing etc going on?

The knock sensors need to 'hear' the pinking first before they can pull the timing back :wink: If it's just a quick 1 to 2 second blip of pinking, the KSs are doing their job (there's one for each bank) and you shouldn't overly concern yourself. It might be running a little lean but if you sit in hot traffic for ages and then boot afterwards, the engine can pink in this situation - until the inlet temp drops again.

Cheers guys, think i will do what Dr Matt says anyway, but Im wondering with Kev's comments if its my stupid green induction kit sucking hot air in then, as it does it when its fully hot and some stoppage.

Oh dear, guess its time to go BMC then do you think ??

Glad its nothing serious as i really would be depressed this time. So missed driving it last week.

I think i will put my now immaculately cleaned original air box back on as a test for the rest of the week.