Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

Rear view mirror glue

Alright chaps,

My rear view mirror has come off. Does anybody know of a suitable adhesive to stick it back on with. Those sticky pads are crap, i need something stonger.

Cheers

Tom

Araldite is the strongest glue i know of, dunno if it'll do your windscreen any good though, there must be a glue specially for this job though.

I saw some stuff in a service station the other day which was just a one-shot sachet of glue for that very purpose- can't remember who made it but it was one of the usual suspects (prob araldite)- I think you need to use the right stuff though because a few glues I have bought have even said on the back 'not suitable for sticking on rear view mirrors' !!

dubster82, spot on mate...

When I bought J-DUB I knocked the mirror off by accident (don't ask :lol: ) and tried for ages to stick it back on... then I realised that the metal bit twists out of the back of the mount. :roll: :oops: I then used J-B weld to attach the metal bit (after a LOT of careful measuring and marking of the exact position it needed to be in!) to the windscreen and left it taped on for a week to harden. The mirror can then be twisted back onto the mount as it should be from the factory.... 8)

then I realised that the metal bit twists out of the back of the mount.

i know he's on holiday...but can anyone else confirm that this forementioned metal bit is circular?...i think mine has been glued to the clips....cos i cant find a bit that will twist out..

cheers..thatl be the bugga then.....i cant get it out... im gonna have to glue it to the window attached to the mirror me thinks.....with the aid of masking tape.... :D ...i was doing fine without one for the past couple of months but now my g/f is learning in it i have to sort it out :roll:

fraid so...one week later and ive just had to pay for a new bumper. :roll:

i just look at it as the closest im gonna get to a 3some.

pmsl....i gave up on trying to " insist " on ANYTHING years ago mate!. :lol:

it was more of a pring than a prang...due to the fact that the cars too low, she nudged a curb whilst parking and its sorta pushed the bumper so it doesnt sit perfectly....ive got another one so i can have it painted and ready for when ive changed the suspension (( and my g/f's got a bit more experience)) ...the bumpers had alot of stress put on it due to the grounding out to often so needs changing anyway...she just made it more obvious. :roll:

corradowales, I had a nice fold in my bumper from a multi-storey car-park incident which a local come-to-you patch-your-car-up firm pulled out - kinda like pulling dents in metal... but for the bumper!

Was impressed and you cannot tell..

Not that you care though, 'cos you've got a spare one. Tart.

got some badboy " locktight" rearview mirror glue from hellfrauds.....good stuff too....£4 and it stuck my mirror on in one piece in a minute...didnt have to worry about seperating the circular metal doodar from the clips, the glue is strong enough!.