Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Petrol Station Rip-off

Ok, I know my fuel gauge isn't perfect, but its not too bad. Yesterday I filled up having just under half a tank - the pump said it filled me up with 42 ltrs. Since when did i have an 80ltr tank?

Anyone else reckon it a swizz?

What size tank have you got? The 12 or 15 Galloner?

The pumps are accurate in what they dispense mate otherwise people filling Jerry cans would soon spot any discrepencies.

Your car, I'm afraid to say, is using more petrol than your guage is letting on.

Nope.. I reckon your fuel gauge is just a bit 'off' - my Corrado used to take ages to get to half way and then drop dramatically.. my Golf even does it to a certain extent.

Though I won't argue with petrol stations being ripoffs!! ;)

If you want to adjust the sender just go into the boot, lift the carpet and then open the panel through to the top of the fuel pump.

The float for the fuel sender is attached to the fuel pump; if you're feeling brave enough you can just mildly bend it a little so it meets your expectations.

Would suggest this is a job best done when the fuel tank is almost empty, as petrol isn't too good for the skin (or even latex gloves) and you can set the sender so that you don't run out of fuel with it still showing ¼ full !

John

There should be a small adjustment screw thread on the sender unit itself, no need to bend the float arm.

But you should note that if it reads full when it's full, it's correctly adjusted. You can't do anything about linearity at part-tank loads. Let's face it, the tank isn't square, so the gauge *will* go down quicker in the latter part of the tank.