Sign in to follow this  
sane

operating temps oil/water

new vr6, just getting to know how it runs.

water temp is fine on the open road but in town its straight up to 110 untill the open road again. the oil goes up to 118+ in town too.

can someone please explain the fans cut in time and at what temp. have to check further, but it seems that one fan finally cuts in at 110 water temp and not seen second fan on. is the fan alone supposed to bring the temp down, because my fan comes on for like 5 seconds then stops before a further burst of 5 seconds a minute or two later.

feedback appreciated

sane

my car in traffic jams never goes above 90 (water) and 98 (oil).think you may need either a tune up and/or thermostat and radiator replaced ps my fan cuts in at 90 and runs till car drops to about 80

sane, change your rad thermoswitch, it sounds like it's only operating at stage 2 at the moment, \fairly common problem and cheap to fix.

yeah, after searching about, the rad thermo switch sounds like a good place to start.

thanks

ps exactly where is it located and can they be had from GSF/EURO's

There are two running speeds for two fans. One fan is driven by the motor, the other by a small belt from the first, so they should always come on together. You say that only one fan is running so it sounds as though the belt has broken and/or fallen off.

The first stage (slower) speed should come in at something over 90 deg and run until the water temp is about 85 deg. I don't know about the 2nd (faster) stage cut in and out.

110 deg is definitely too high a water temperature, so firstly get that fan fixed and then consider changing the thermoswitch in the rad.

Best wishes

RB

Is it a thermoswitch or a thermostat that needs changing? GSF doesn't seem to have a thermoswitch, or would it come under something different?

a fan thermoswitch...they should of heard of that mate.

p.s...i thought due to an earlier thread that your car was running at good temps?

a fan thermoswitch...they should of heard of that mate.

p.s...i thought due to an earlier thread that your car was running at good temps?

With a bit of searching, I think my stage one fan doesn't come on either. I'm not entirely sure but I'd rather be safe than sorry later on you know, it's not like it's expensive eh :)