Sign in to follow this  
Steve16v

Fitting Gauges

2_Door_fun, I used to have a 11lb Wet 100bhp Wizard of NOS kit in my old C,Ive sold that one a while back and have another one,the user name still is the same,good stuff isn't it :twisted:

I've done all my own work on my car,wiring is easy.Use the wiring diagram futher up.

vr6storm, Thanks :thumb right: just need to find a suitable VDO boost gauge to suit the rest.

Well I got the gauges in yesterday well pleased I am. They look factory. Bit of a job to fit em. Pleanty of use for the old Dremmel tool. Pleanty of shots of how to. Now to find a VDO boost gauge. My current TIM is to different and won't fit the Audi front panel :roll:

So I went from this

Gauge-in.jpg

To this in an afternoon.

Frame-1.jpg

1st dismantle your Audi gauges and release the metal frame. Cut the side arms off I used a grinder.

frame-3.jpg

Start removing all teh excess metal from the frame. You will also need to do alot of plastic removal from the ashtray area. I took my centre console out and just cut teh lot away.

frame-4.jpg

As you can see all that remains of the ashtray is the bottom panel and abit of the sides. Just to give it a bit of strength. I marked the base of teh metal frame and drilled through it then used thos holes as a guide to drill through the plastic base through to the cubby hole. The lower lip of the Audi panel hides the screw heads.

frame-5.jpg

The screws can just be seen under the ledge.

frame-6.jpg

frame-7.jpg

Couple of closeup shots of teh frame and ashtray area.

Final.jpg

The finished item....

Others may have fitted their gauges dif so don't take this as gospel. If I had another centre console I would refine the work but you live n learn and I'm happy enough. :D

looks good

whats the 3 switches for?

on the new frame those switches will be moved on another place.

But they are for : 1. Interior lights (instruments, gauges) 2.Stereo 3. Xenon lights.

looks very well!!

Here is my latest attempt at getting the gauges to suit the car better. As you can see I have modified a set of audi gauges so that I now have white needles and green back lighting... was getting a bit pissed off with the orange back lighting not fitting in with the rest of the dash

CIMG1680_WEB.jpg

DSCN1891_WEB.jpg

Yeah I thought that when My VDO's went in. Errrr Orange needles!!!! :p Red back light :p

So being as that install looks well nice how ya get white needles????

unfortunately it involves cutting open the gauge

Use a cutting disk to carefully cut around the white case.. split the gauge... carefully pop the needle off... sand off the orange backing.. mack it up and spray it white

A bit fiddly but with time and patience they shoudl be no bother to anyone

unfortunately it involves cutting open the gauge

Use a cutting disk to carefully cut around the white case.. split the gauge... carefully pop the needle off... sand off the orange backing.. mack it up and spray it white

A bit fiddly but with time and patience they shoudl be no bother to anyone

Damn looks good though. I may practice on the spare oil temp gauge I have :lol: .

Cheers