Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Anyone ever considered a TDi engine conversion?

No one's taken offense so far mate, well, apart from a jerky remark from me that was taken the wrong way, but never mind....

Horses for course Jimbo..... you like your diesel, I like my petrol :lol:

The only diesel I'd consider owning is the one I mentioned already, the 530d....but the rest of the car is fugly and it's a late BMW, so bad image and poor build quality. Engine is utterly sublime....it's smooth, quiet, very very torquey (around 350lb/ft) and you're not actually aware you're in a diesel from the driver's seat..... unlike the VAG TDI, which can hear and feel more than I'd personally like....

Going on lunch.. will endeavor to contribute more to this a little later ;)

I agree, I think this whole turbo lag thing is blown out of proportion, as Jim said, just rev it a bit in the gear before and away you go. And no VR owner can say a VR will pull like a train at 40mph in 5th because they would be lying, infact, you have to go above 3k. So a VR doesn't really have that much more of a wider power band and certainly not more useable. A remapped 150PD will be a lot more like a petrol because it has a bigger turbo and the lag is noticeable on that car compared to a 115/130PD. The PD's aren't even the most refined diesel because of where the injectors are housed makes it a bit noisy (in the cylinder head)

And did anyone read that review of the remapped 535d in evo? 500lb/ft! nuf said.

well I am certainly not biased as I own one of each, and I still think the engine is seriously flawed.

My opinions are totally objective, as I was over the moon when I got the bora, its just driving it for a year that has put me off it.

Fair enough.. I suppose I should come back to this thread a year on and see if the clattery engine, narrow power band, and other such things have started to get to me. I've only had the Golf for like 6 weeks so am still in the honeymoon period!

Truth be told I don't see myself owning a diesel for ever.. obviously i'd much rather upgrade to a MK4 1.8T or a 2.8 V6 4Motion or something in a year or two.

OK, I've been away from this forum for a week and look what happens...

Well, seeing as how J-DUB now owes me a couple of hundred quid in total since I bought her back from the insurance company and is sat there with no engine/gearbox I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about putting in a TDI and using her as my commuting car... I've got H-YYU with a 250ish BHP G60 petrol engine if I want something with stupid performance, but running that to Manchester and back everyday is:

a) not doing the engine any favours

b) not doing my wallet any favours

c) not doing my insurance costs any favours

d) not going to do my clean drivers licence any favours when I get bored on the motorway and start playing silly buggers with the Porsches etc... :twisted: :lol:

A TDI in a Corrado makes perfect sense to me, I love the handling, comfort levels and looks of a Corrado, but want something a little more economical... for less than £2K I can have just that... 40MPG+ and around 170bhp/250Lb/Ft

Keep watching folks, the project starts when I get back from New Zealand! :twisted: 8)

Keep watching folks, the project starts when I get back from New Zealand! :twisted: 8)

Are you taking that ring you found back to Mount Doom, Henny?

there may be a ring going to NZ with me, but that's only for the trip to Fiji after we've done the tour of NZ... ;)

why don't you write up a thread about your trip to nz Henney? It's a place I really want to go so would be interesting to read others opinions on whats good/bad for when I eventually go galavanting.

Can only agree with the pro-diesel brigade here, as a mate of mine (Zoran over in Germany) has dropped a TDI into his Rado, and apart from it sounding odd (diesel sounds coming from a Rado :lol:), it pulls rather nicely, and he is always loyally rewarded whenever he has to go to the petrol station (rarely compared to a petrol car). He still has a US-spec G60 Rado to play with, of course :-)

Tempest

yeah, I don't think I'd do it if I didn't already have a mental petrol engined Corrado too... I'd be too tempted to drop in an R32 or similar instead, but with J-DUB being almost worthless now that she's classed as a CatC write off, the only way I'm going to make her worth anything is to do a photo documented re-build using a different engine which I should be able to get reasonably cheap... 8) The only thing that the car will have cost me is the parts for the repair (currently under £200 for all of the mechanical parts) a wing, some paintwork and whichever engine/gearbox I decide to use... 8)

No one's taken offense so far mate, well, apart from a jerky remark from me that was taken the wrong way, but never mind....

I can only assume that's directed at me. If so: I wouldn't say I took offence exactly, but when someone implies that a course of action I'm planning to follow is going to make me look like a berk I'm inclined to go on the defensive! If not: my bad.

My point is this, plain and simple...the 1.8 16v Corrado can not be described as an inspiring drive. The things it does well are: look good, handle well and be comfortable with a good driving position - as pointed out by Henny previously - but the straight line performance and 32mpg do not provide a balanced equation. Adding an engine that gives similar performance with greatly increased fuel economy can not be a bad thing in my opinion. As a commuter tool it will be perfect. It doesn't have to be fast...that's why I bought an R1.

I too love this forum and that's the reason I keep coming back!

I test drove a 150 tdi golf last year, great low down torque, allways a deis forte. However, I like a nice flat long torque curve, or at least one that builds in a linear fashon. Lots of exhilerating lurches and too many gear changes on deis for the raddo I recon. Would spoil the GT aspect of the car. Mind you, i think there is a big diff between a VR and a G60.

Both have pros and cons and are quite different animals, fun for diff reasons...........each to there own basically

Just to add to this:

goingto work on friday I was behind a TDi seat leon at the junction at the bottom of my village, a gap on the dual carriage opens, he goes, I go straight after him, I give it full welly......and get left for dead. god knows what that was.

CoxyLaad, sounds like one of the Cupra diesels... I got left on the wrong side of a road looking rather silly by a MKV Golf Diesel not long ago... I dropped a gear and booted it just as he booted it... I lost... BIG TIME!

I think my conversion may end up being one of the new 2.0 diesels... 8)

The thing I like about my G60's is the fact that you don't have to rev them to get decent performance and you can be very lazy with the gearbox as they are so torquey, being in a colleagues new Octavia Sport TDi with DSG box today made me realise just how similar a modern TDi unit is to a G60 in terms of power delivery - I would definitely give consideration to a TDi conversion - just have to remember to switch off and coast whenever arriving at meets