Sign in to follow this  
Brando

Air flow director only working on feet and windscreen

Hi guys, as u may or may not know I got my first corrado sunday :-), will put pics up when I take em tomozs.

Got a small prob, I can only direct air to my feet or windscreen - the dial will turn round but it needs to be forced and in doing so it makes a crack and then still blows to my feet.

Presumably some form of linkage has gone. Any ideas on how to fix it??

Presuming again I'll have to take the whole dash off and have a look, I did try having a look at the dials to see if they had swapped over but this didn't seem to be the problem.

any ideas/fixes???

If you drop your lower dash panels on both sides, you should be able to see the cables moving in time with the dial. Try and see which cable is causing the problem. If they seem ok, then one of the flaps in the box may be broke. :(

Bad design i'm afraid, the control flaps are operated by plastic cogs, they get worn and jump out of place, I replaced mine as the tabs that hold them in place had either bent or broken, the cable operates one cog which in turn turns the one fixed to the flap, they just need to jump one tooth and the flaps wont work correctly, even with the new ones fitted it still seemed a bit loose so I modified it by jamming a piece of white plastic plumbing pipe between the cog and the tunnel. This stops the cog twisting as the lever/knob is operated and it now holds the thing in place. I used to have to shove it back in place quite regularly, it has been fine for ages. The downside is Volkswagen may not have any left as they only listed one or two and I think they were going to be discontinued :o !! part number for one of them is 192 819 268 not sure about the other one I would need to find an old one to check. They are located behind the lower panels as sc16v said, (follow the cables) you may just need to push yours back in but you will have to realign them, if you look on the face of the cogs you will see indent that matches the other cog. Hope this helps, sorry for the long winded explanation. The mod will make sense as you look at the arrangement.

the heatrer controls from the passat fit. Couple of people on here have done it but I'm not sure what year/part no etc.

And here:- http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3373

Also click on picture below.

What happens is the screen vent cable jams causing all sorts of problems with the vent direction knob.

You'll need to replace the cable if it can't be moved in and out easily by hand. It costs £9 and is called the 'defroster cable' at VW.

I warn you now, it is a real b#stard to get to and the dash needs a partial strip down :cry:

Kev