Sign in to follow this  
simmyboy

SERIOUS DAMAGE TO O/S REAR QUARTER

Some f***ing idiot has reversed into my o/s rear quarter and seriously damaged it does anyone know if this will right my car off. I seriously hope not it is my pride and joy...

Depends on a couple of things really. Are you going to go through your insurance company being the main one, second - do you know anyone who can sort out bodywork?

I'm just going through a similar situation at the moment, and although it's not that serious an amount of damage - I still think my insurance company would write it off given half a chance. Here's to mate's rates in the bodyshop :)

It certainly wont pull out I'm furious. No pics yet got to go to work (night shift). The damage is between drivers door and rear wheel arch it is pushed in so far it is afecting the door closing and panel is well creased and pushed up into a point. It is not looking good! Will need to contact the insurance in the morning.

IIRC with damage like that they drill holes in the panel and use hooks to pull the panel back out, then fill accordingly.

I've just been quoted 180 quid to fix the damage on mine, although I had to source a new door (and wing while I was there as it was rusty) so all in I think it's about 350 to sort everything.

Here's the damage on mine:

[web]http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=661[/web]

I feel for you both big time! Lucky neither of you are up for man slaughter is all i can say!

Simmyboy, im sure someone will point you towards a friendly body shop in your neck of the woods on here. The only way to get over this is to think positive and get some other bits done at the same time that you wer'nt happy with before i reckon. Any picks though?

The only way to get over this is to think positive and get some other bits done at the same time that you wer'nt happy with before i reckon.

Yep, that's whats keeping me going. Way I see it, I get my rusty indicator fixed, scratch on driver's door and crease on passenger door and dodgy respray on rear quarter all taken care of in one hit. Plus I'm getting my passat handles resprayed properly this time!

Sim, chin up mate. It may seem like doom, gloom and needless expense - but in the long run it's worth the hassle. I hope you find the ****** that did the damage too!

sorry to hear thet both u guys!!!

hope you get it all sorted with minimum of fuss

but5 doesnt seem that insurance companies like the corrado too much!!

Thanks for the sympathy guys. I cant believe somone would do so much damage and just bugger off. Anyways I live in the Cumbernauld near Glasgow if anybody knows of any good bodyshops please let me know.I dont want it bodged. Randal I feel for you mate I will try and get some pics of mine up but my quarter panel looks knackered to me.

I did have some money put by for some nice 17" wheels so hopefully they can repair it as well as removing the bump strips and fit new door handles for me I do like that look.

I'm sure it'll buff out :?

That is definitely going to need a new rear quarter, which means they have to cut the old one out and weld in a new one.

I had it done on my C on the insurance, but it was a VR and I've got no idea on the value of the repair :(

chrisvr6nos had his wrote off but kept it afer being paid out and repaired it - it is my understanding that even if your car is wrote off, you are insured to cover your losses - the insurance company does not buy your car when they write it off so it is totally feasible to get a payout and then repair it yourself more cost effecively. thats definately the way i would do....

H8RRA, problem then is that it's classed as a CAT C write off so if ever you sell it, you MUST declare that, AND it'll show up on HPI checks as a write off... (that's what I've had to do with J-DUB)

simmyboy, get it over to a couple of body shops and ask their opinion on how to get it fixed and for some quotes... Because it's a hit-and-run style claim, you may find it'll work out financially better for you to get it repaired yourself rather than going through the insurance. :| DO NOT notify the insurance company that this has happened as they will mark it down as a claim even if you never actually claim any money from them... My missus has just been caught by this after a nudge in a carpark where her car wasn't even damaged... :mad:

ouch, sorry to see that - toerags who do things like that

still, staying positive, looks like the door escaped unscathed

how do they work that 'claim' scam then Henny? surely that can't be legit business practice (oh, sorry, we're talking insurance co here aren't we)

if you phone to inform them of an accident or the possibility that someone else may claim against you (even if there's no damage to your vehicle) then it's marked down as a claim even if no-one ever puts in a claim against you.... :mad:

Well, you learn something every day don't you. Still think that smacks of poor practice regarding all those folk who have not built up any claims protection.

You’ll get that repaired, any decent panel beater could get that out without much filling, better to get it repaired yourself than go to the insurance for sure.

It would be a close call on a cat C if you were to make a claim.

Make sure to get a chap that does quality work and remember you get what you pay for in repair jobs. (unless you go to a stealer that is ;) )

Too late about telling the insurance did that this morning good news is that their authorised repairer is going to fix it. New quarter to be fitted and he is also painting the door. As this is my second car I had zero no claims anyway I will just have to take it on the chin next year when I shop around for ins.

Hey hey, bet that put a smile on your face :) Glad to hear you've got some kind of resolution, albeit potentially at your expense next year. Fingers crossed though mate.

ta

:( :( Just got some bad news my car has been put down as a total loss. Can't believe it. Sick as a pig. Looks like I will have some Corrado goodies to sell very shortly.

Oops. They changed their mind. I'm not surprised really - that work is pretty involved and at "authorised repairers" that's gonna be expensive.

BTW - going back to the earlier discussion about informing the insurance company if you're involved in an incident even if you don't make a claim - that is true, but in most cases the fact that you report an accident but never claimed on it means you won't lose your no claims.

Sure, it will be on record that you were involved in an accident, but you don't lose no-claims..

Some silly bint decided not to give way to the person entering a roundabout from their right, which was unfortunatly me in my 96 Rado VR6 with only 50k on the clock in pristine condition!!!

My nearside rear quater is now destroyed and has possible suspension and axle damage!!! I am not a happyh bunny.

Insurance are probs gonna right it off so I am in agony at the minute.

If it is a right off I am defo gettin it repaired me self, cos the chances of me findin another C the same as this one are 1 in a billion!!!

If anyone has had this problem can you let me know what you did, as I am destraught at the ide of loosing my pride and joy.

Cheers

Richy.

I can seriously say from what I have seen fixed that is nothing to be worried about. There is this tool they use that welds a nail looking thing to the panel and then they pull on it and it takes the dent out like nothing, then bondo to smooth it all out.

if you phone to inform them of an accident or the possibility that someone else may claim against you (even if there's no damage to your vehicle) then it's marked down as a claim even if no-one ever puts in a claim against you.... :mad:

True initially, but claims have to be notified within 6 months from the time of the incident to be valid. In other words, if nothing happens and your missus has lost NCD, the insurer should reinstate the NCD and refund any extra premium 6 months from now.