Sign in to follow this  
valver MK

Odometer nightmare!!

I bought a 1990 16v about a month or so ago and whilst driving back noticed it was clocking up no mileage, like a fool I paid cash and to be honest love the car far too much to wanna get rid!

I'm new to Corrado's so can anyone please tell me what my options are (if any!), i'm told my car has the older type of clocks on it i.e. not digital milage?

The strange thing is that the MFA mileage, revs and speedo all read out fine, however the mpg readouts defaulting to 99.9??

BR

Chris

Cable?, geardrive located on top of 'box?,actual speedometer drive gear cogs?,can you hear any very faint clicking coming from the mileage drums?,meaning that the actual cogs could have gone AWOL,it's not un-heard of.

Lastly,you could try taking out the instrument cluster and manually check with a small dremel drill if it works by briefly spinning the the mileometer using either a match or cut off an old piece of speedo cable inserted in the dremel's chuck, the cable does'nt have to come from a Corrado,the square section on speedo cables are all very similer,welcom aboard the forum mate.

If the speedo is working then it's not going to be a speedo cable problem. My guess is you'll need to replace the speedo unit itself...but probably easier to get a complete set of clocks. Expect to pay about around £40 - £50 and set aside an hour to change.

The MFA fuel economy meter is driven by a vacuum hose connected between the back of the clocks and the inlet manifold. I expect it's either become disconnected or has split.

Glad to be here!

Thanks for the quick replies. No i've not noticed any clicking but its hard to hear over the scorpion b/box bodged on by the previous fool! :(

I'll have a crack at getting the clocks out and have a good look. While i'm at it i'll check out that hose too, it'd be nice to know what sort of mileage i'm getting. Thanks for the offer, if the clocks do turn out to be at fault i'll be in touch Kevin.

Chris

Thanks Bally! Fun aint it, its got a few other niggles but so much fun round the roundabouts, certainly sticks a shed load more than my old 306!

Hello Cymru-Corrado, i've not had the chance to have the clocks out of mine yet but when I do i'll let you know.

hi any help i have i 91 g60 vdo clocks the problem is when i`m driving the speed and rev counter do what they want go all over the place and the rev counter try`s to push down to 0 when the car is on..

i had a few probs with my clocks when i got my car, twitcy needles, tachometer was 500rpm out and mpg was up the spout. a new set of clock sorted it all out