Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Sunroof Question.. (not snapped cables)- Now Sorted :-)

Hi,

Sunroof has gone today :( , Won't slide but can tilt up- then twists on the way down.

Thing is the cables seem fine, but a metal slider the cables attach to has snapped on the passenger side. Is this part included in the sunroof repair kit? (my search through 12 pages of posts make me think it may not be)- other than that what are my options to get it fixed,

Reisdent experts appear to be Henny, Kev and Mike Edwards- so all help appreciated 8)

Cheers

Mike

It is the cables and you will need the repair kit.

This always happens on the passenger side for some reason. The cable itself will still be intact but the end of it is kind of integral to the mechanism so you have no choice but to replace the cables. You will probably also need a new rocker for the passenger side as the rod it pivots on normally bends and is actually what causes the cable to break.

I fixed my sunroof back in March and only just fixed my Wifes Golf this Saturday and they both failed in exactly the same place and the same way. You normally get a warning that its about to happen when sliding the sunroof and you get a sharp crack coming from the sunroof which is caused by the rocker failing to disengage from its slot properly. Eventually it completly fails and makes the cable snap.

OK so the cables actually come with quite a chunky piece of mechanism then? If I try to tilt the sunroof back into position I can actually see the broken part of the mechanism move backwards (and I thought pulled by an intact cable?). I am sure the rocker has jammed like you say- it just appears to me that the bit the cables attached to has fractured rather then the cable itself- is that possible?

You right about the crack from the sunroof- its been doing that for a while now- bugger

Cheers for your help so far though 8)

it just appears to me that the bit the cables attached to has fractured rather then the cable itself- is that possible?

8)

Its exactly as you describe - the cable itself will be perfectly ok but it's the part at the end of it which will have fractured, but because of the way it's made you will need new a new cable.

The job is actually fairly easy once all the headlining is down. The difficult bit is getting to the sunroof so that it can be removed from the car without damaging any trim or headlining.

I can't remember the part numbers off the top of my head but will have a quick look at my receipts and hopefully post em later. I'm also pretty sure that the part numbers have been posted up on the forum before.

Found the part numbers:

Cable Kit (Both Sides): 1HO 898 014A

Rocker (Passenger Side): 1HO 898 019

Rocker (Drivers Side): 1HO 898 020

You should only need the cable kit and passenger side rocker :)

The rockers are also known as "Water Guide Plate" which isn't a particulary helpful description.

You want to definitely replace the water plate guides AND the rockers, the whole darn lot in fact.

The rockers because the roller 'feet' develop flat spots and eventually won't lift out of their detents and the water plate guides because they wear out causing excessive play, which then causes the infamous roof gouging. I would also replace the pins that travel in the water plate guides aswell because they wear too.

When putting it back together, don't forget to align it all properly as the two cables need to be exactly parallel with eachother and in the right position before you refit the motor, and the motor needs to be reset too.

To reset the motor, leave it connected but out of the sunroof subframe, lock and unlock car to activate the central locking. The motor now thinks the roof is closed.

Good luck.

The rockers because the roller 'feet' develop flat spots

Very true I did forget to mention that. :oops: After having fixed four of these stupid sunroofs now, it always seems to be the passenger side that wears out and breaks hence my earlier advice.

But if you want the belt and braces and don't mind paying a little extra then following Kevhaywires advise would be a wise move especially considering the amount of time and effort involved in the job.

If you have help then expect to do the sunroof in 2 - 3 hours.

Before refitting the sunroof re-attach the motor and using the allen key move the sunroof through its full range of both tilt and slide making sure that both sides are synchronized and tilting, sliding and disengaging when they are meant to be. That way you avoid wasting time and potentiallly scratching your sunroof if something is wrong.

And use lots and lots of white grease :D

No worries, two heads are better than one! And like you, I've done it a few times now aswell.

Yeah, grease is the key! Not sure why the pass side wears first, probably a lack of grease during assembly at Karmann.

Eversince I rebuilt mine, the motor refuses to slide, so I just use it manually now.....

And it seems the early roofs don't have the allen key hole, which is a shame...

kevhaywire, early roofs have a slot instead with which you can operate the roof with a flat bladed screwdriver... ;)

(got my roof stuck not long ago and had to "assist it" in closing... ;) :lol: )

Not what I'd call a slot, more like 2 slots for a special tool.....I looked at Supercharged's and I can't see how you can do it with a screwdriver mate....you'd be there all day...

kevhaywire, really? That's odd, I just shoved a ratchet screwdriver into the slot and went for it... :|

I now have a fully working sunroof :D , fitted by Paul Harrington (H8RRA) who must qualify as being the daddy of sunroof fitters- superb, quick and careful job so cheers for that mate- I am so glad I didn't have to attempt it myself or it definitely would have ended in tears (mine) :oops:

Hehe well chuffed :D

Mike