Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Help! Oil in boost pipe.

Was out for a spin today and felt that the G60 was underpowered compared to when I first took it on the road in May.

As I reversed out of a parking bay,the car stalled and took a bit to get started again-it was what I'd describe as "wheezy".

Got it home okay,everything seemed fine as I pulled up outside the house and turned it off.

As it had been playing up I treid to restart it and the same thing happened-wheezed into life after I applied a bit of throttle.

Left it for a whil to cool down and went to start it again-fired without too much hesitation.

Just driven it 5mins down the road to my garage and the same thing happened-only this time on sdtart up I noticed a large cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust :oops: and when I got to the garage,it didn't wamt to restart.

Popped the bonnet and immediately saw vapour coming out from around the airflow sensor in the inlet boost pipe,so I took the sensor out and it was covered in oil along with the inside of the pipe.

This would explain the starting problem then.

But where is the oil coming from?

Could it be the charger outlet,which means it going thru the I/C?

Ther's also oil droplets on the rocker cover,water hose outlet from the blue sensor and also on the inside of the inlet hose to the thermostat.It's coming from somewhere-just dont know where though.

Oil pressure appears to be ok,but could this be indicative of an oil pump failure? :(

If you have that much oil in the boost tubes you have blown an oil seal im afraid to say. pull the breather off the pipe from the rocker cover to the boost return hose just to check it not the engine breathing very heavilly. sounds like a oil seal to me though to be honest

If you have that much oil in the boost tubes you have blown an oil seal im afraid to say. pull the breather off the pipe from the rocker cover to the boost return hose just to check it not the engine breathing very heavilly. sounds like a oil seal to me though to be honest

Thanks G-man. :thumb right:

Do you mean a seal in the charger or elsewhere in the engine?

sounds like it could be a charger oil seal to me, pull of the outlet this should let you see ok

Cheers.

I'll do that tomorrow.

If thats the case,what's involved in replacing the seal?

Rebuild time??!

I took it to Star performance,around 3-4 years ago,who removed the charger and sent it to Jabba for a stage 4 rebuild...

Surely it won't need it so soon? :( :shock:

Rebuild time??!

I took it to Star performance,around 3-4 years ago,who removed the charger and sent it to Jabba for a stage 4 rebuild...

Surely it won't need it so soon? :( :shock:

Don't you bet on it!

Mine lasted 'nearly' 2 years.

Take the exhaust off the charger and see what if anything is going on it there.

You don't want lots of oil floating around in there. With the tolerances in the charger if it has no where to go something will give up.

Gavin

Hmmm,methinks it's time to upgrade to a BBM......

It hasn't gone critical(yet) as everything is still in one piece,but there is an ominous clicking noise coming from somewhere under the bonnet.

Looks like it's time to cancel the insurance and reclaim the unused tax and put it back in the box until I can afford to do something with. :cry:

my Jabba rebuild didn't even make it to 1 year of use... :| Get it down to G-werks for a rebuild...