Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

LED rear lights

Hi all,

Theres some rear C lights down at the scrappy and im after some LED ones but cant find them anywhere.

How difficult would it be to use the scrapyard ones to build my own LED lights?

I was thinking of having the standard rear light as a line of LEDS around the outside and the VW logo in the middle. When you brake all the LEDs come on.

Would this be possible or just a cool idea that'll never happen?

You can get LED bulbs that fit in the standard bulb holders, but they're not MOT legal unless the car was fitted with them in the factory (for no really GOOD reason).

IMHO they should be immediately made legal - there are NO downsides to them. They're brighter, lower powered, longer lasting and they switch on/off SO fast it makes standard lights look ancient.

But there you go...

dr_mat, and they don't show up very well in direct sunlight... hence they're illegal... :roll:

Have a look at the back of a BMW with LED rear lights (or some new busses) and count the number of LEDs used in each light... There's LOADS of 'em, not just a few in an old spec bulb holder cluster configuration... Unless you're planning on putting in as many as BMW, then there's no way these should be legal as the viewing angles are stupidly tight meaning that if you're off axis then you don't get anywhere near the light output you would from a standard incandescent bulb... :|

Ah, maybe that's it ...

The bulbs you can buy usually have around 20-30 LEDS on now though.

The BMWs not only have about 20 10mm road-sign grade ultrabright LEDs (wouldn't surprise me if they were 1W stars actually) but they also have diffused lenses to give a better light dispersion.

It's just too expensive and complicated (the stars need a special power supply, expensive) to do DIY to good effect.

Wait until VW do it and then nick the innards from what ever car sports them.....

You're right about the speed of the LEDs....but that's another thing, because Corrado's use flasher relays, you need an amp's load on it or it won't flash, so you'll need to sort that or use a monostable 555 circuit and a relay....

I have LED indicator bulbs in my golf, I had to fit a big load resistor to slow down the flashers, but they did pass the mot, and they are just as bright as standard bulbs in any light!

My side light bulbs are way brighter than standard!

Does all this mean that the Green led bulbs I've just ordered from Ultraleds wont work properly behind my nicely red tinited rear lights?? :?

Think you will have to wait and see, but will you let me know if they do work please mrbeige,