Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Williams Clio 2

Nothing to do with Vee Dubs but.....

My mate's selling a '95 Phase 2 Williams Clio for £2300.

Just wondered if it is a worthwhile buy?

He's done a lot of work replacing various bits and bobs lately and it's just had a full service including timing belt.

85k miles. Very good shape.

I've driven the car and love it to bits.

Frightening performance and grip.

Obviously it'll not be replacing my Corrado though :)

yep, got to agree, does sound a bit cheap.

worth a look tho, there are bargains to be had out there 8)

ive heard that they have a really narrow oil sump and when cornering oil doesnt get upto the engine of if parked on a slope overnight and in the morning when u start is engine can be dryish.....this is what i heard was enuff to put me off it and apparently their engines are not very strong in comparision to the thrashing that is put their way

They are good cars IMO. My mate had one for ages, the engine bay is crammed tight. If you want to change the alternator, you have to take the headlight out!! Silly things like that, but they are quick, and fairly comfortable cars. Its easily lowered as the rear is a torsion bar.

If the condition is good, and its a geniune car then thats a good price, most of the ones I've seen around are well over 3000 / 3500 plus

It's french, whats wrong with you people? 7mm allen key anyone? Would have a mk2 16v golf over that any day!

I used to have a Clio RSi 1.8 8v, and it was a bitch to work on!

Things just aren't laid out in a logical manner - unlike a VW - yeah it's a cool fast car, but do you really wanna have to strip half the engine away every time you wanna do routine maintenance? I mean, "...remove the headlight to remove the alternator"!?!? Sounds cool but it'll p**s you off within a short space of time!

I was buying it to drive whilst my Corrado is away having some bodywork done. That should take a week or two.

Then I was going to keep it until the end of the summer and sell it on at a profit (hopefully)

As you guys have said. £2300 is cheap. The reason for this is it needs MOT'd and taxed. But he's a mechanic and assures me it'll pass MOT, if not he'll do any labour for free and parts are readily available from the local scrappie.

I just want to be sure I'll get at least £2500 for it later on.

Just helped him replace the alternator on it, see what yu mean about the headlight having to come out :)

Took it for another spin after.

Holy s#$t does that thing go, the gears are setup just perfectly and the thing sticks to the road like it's on rails :shock:

I'd be interested to see how it fairs against a G60.

I reckon up to 100mph it would be ahead.

Na, they are quick, they do get going around the mid range but the G60 will kill the williamS clio. My mate had a williams and would never race our other mate with the C g60.

In all the time I've known him he's never sold a car with MOT.

Sounds suss doesn't it?

Trust me though, I know most of the people he's sold cars to and if there's ever been a problem it's been VERY minor.

For the sake of £25 to MOT it myself, it ain't worth the hassle asking him.

well i sold the williams ,put it in the autotrader for £2700 and

first person to see it took it ,, as for taken a corrado G60

dead easy ,but my golf being lighter and chiped with 68mm pully

and cat bypass would have given it a run !!! but who knows !!!