Sign in to follow this  
Chrislong

Been offered a Corrado G60

This is my first post on here. My friend Scott Davis has directed me here.

I currently have a Modified Mini for sale which is mint. I have been offered a Corrado G60 as a straight swap. I have not said yes or no yet, I know nothing about the car yet.

Im 25, I also have a Fiesta Zetec. The original plan was to sell the Mini to buy a 4x4 as I am interested in doing some off roading, keeping the Fiesta as my day to day car. Now I am thinking along the lines of (if the G60 is good this is) to hand the Fiesta back to Ford, use the G60 daily and still buy the 4x4.

I need to know more about this model. What are its weak points, what should it have. Are there any questions I should ask the owner of the G60?

Any comments in general will help me?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris..

Well firstly i'd check our Corrado Buyers Guide - this pretty much covers everything you need to know.

But the short and skinny on the G60 is, as long as the G60 supercharger itself is in good condition then they are pretty reliable cars. The engine is basically just the 8v Golf GTI engine with a blower strapped to it, and we all know how well regarded that engine is.

Corrado's are old though so expect, instead of depreciation, to be spending money regularly on little bits and pieces.. hoses split sometimes, things break, etc etc.. but compared to depreciation of a new / modern car, you will probably save money!

Good luck.. the Corrado is a wonderful car to own even if it can be occasionally traumatic with regards to bills, etc.. :)

Thanks for the buyers guide Jim. I have printed it off, will have a read through it.

So the G60 Model. What colours did it come in, what wheels should it have (Multispoke?), any std.extra's other than the badge and the 1.8 8v supercharged engine?

As for rust - what goes? I will check it over anyway, but what area's are known to deteriorate first?

Wheels as standard would be the BBS multispoke jobbies, though lots of people have changed them for aftermarket ones these days.

Standard extras.. well, I you're gonna have sunroof and leccy windows. If you're looking at an end of run model (J plate) you might get the facelift exterior (see buyers guide) and you might get ABS too.

Rust isn't a big problem on Corrado's.. common places though seem to be, if anywhere, on the doors and in odd little patches on places like the arches where people may have had small accidents and not had the paint patched up properly. But as I say, rust is not common!

Charger rebuilds are the only thing that people are scared of TBH. Just makes sure you have it done/checked asap if there is no eveidence of it being off the car ever.

It needn't be a problem as long as you keep on top of it.

I can offer advice as I don't live far away, near Haydock.

Gavin

Thanks Guys,

Next job for me then is to go and view it! Hopefully will be taking Scott with me - I will post back when I have viewed.

I am hoping it is standard, so I can make it mint and keep it standard..

Oh, and Red - I hope it is Red (Scott.... what do you say LOL)

Red actually looks great on the G60 :lol:

Cheers people...

Its always good to see some feedback on Corrado problems although after owning Corrados for over 5yrs I do know most of em :roll:

Still miss my VR6 :(

One day... I WILL have another... and no Chris not a G60 :p

Check out this site, this will give you some vital info about G60 tuning and trouble shooting, make sure you do the boost check trick on the MFA.

SNS site

nobody mentions the fact that the interiors like to rattle squeak and fall off at random.. or at least mine does.

bar the charger a good allround car, plus nobody mentioned the fact it sounds like a horny rabid beast with a wasp up its bottom.

hope its to your liking Chrislong, just make sure you give it a REALLY good once over at least twice!

g60_Pete, neither of my G60s rattle or squeak... :p you just need to make sure that all of the fixings and fasteners are in place in the interior to stop 'em from making odd noises... ;)