Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Mrk iv rear caliper upgrade

But you might as well go for the thicker Mk3 pads because you're getting 1mm more pad for near enough the same money ;)

yeah, but the thing is that you can't just go in and say "rear pads for a Corrado please" you have to give the exact year and model golf which most people won't automatically know 'cos that's not the car they drive... :?

Oh, and I wanna know why I'm wrong, 'cos this is implying that you need to change the pads when it may just be the calipers that you need to change... I think that the original pads will work just as well... :|

But you might as well go for the thicker Mk3 pads because you're getting 1mm more pad for near enough the same money ;)

Fair point! :)

My rear pads were shot anyway, but it would have been handy to use the mrk iv pads as there was plenty of meat on them + save on buying new ones.

...but the shape of the pad and the material the pad is made of is IDENTICAL... :?

Mrk iv pads are a different shape to the mrk 2/3 pads

Mrk iv pads are a different shape to the mrk 2/3 pads

I know, it's 95-> MKIII and MKII pads that are in question here... ;) The MKIV pads won't fit in the Corrado's carrier...

Yes the MK4 pads do fit as I've got them in mine....

I don't know why you're sweating it, and bully for you having a degree...I've met half a dozen electronics graduates that can't even solder, your point is?

I really don't know why it makes a difference, but it does.... why would VW make the pads three different thicknesses if it makes no difference?

I'm happy with my pedal, it's a lot firmer than it was with the MK2 pads in the MK4 calipers....and that's all I care about tbh.... it may not ever be fully answered....just another one of those misterys....

Do you have mrk iv carriers? Perhaps the VR carriers are different or perhaps my 16V had different carriers?

I was pretty sure the mrk iv pads I have wouldn’t go in the carriers, im keen to find out how they feel at the pedal.

My handbrake come up alot more than it used to did anyone else have this happen with the mrk iv calipers?

I think it may be pad specific as I just checked the listings for the pagids I have and they are down for the mrk 2, 3 and 4 !

Kev, I'm not sweating it, I'm happy with how the brakes are on both of my G60s (and my mate's MKII GTI) with the MKIV rear calipers and either the 95-> MKIII pads or the MKII pads (to be honest, I've not tried the MKIV pads as I've not needed to yet). I'm just really interested as to why there should be a difference in pedal feel just from using a brake pad which is initially thicker... It's one of those things that interests me and may be a hole in my knowledge/understanding that I'd like to fill, or a myth I'd like to quash... 8)

As I understood it, the pads were thicker 'cos the disks were thinner on the MKIV 'cos the materials had improved. This meant thinner disks could be made to last as long as the thicker ones yet cost less to make saving money for the manufacturer...

anyway....

Baz? You may find that you need to adjust your handbrake cables under the center console... I've not had to adjust the cables on either of my Corrados, but the Golf I did the swap on needed the cables to be adjusted pretty majorly 'cos the old calipers were utterly knackered and so the adjusters had been used to make up for it...

Also, have you put the hand brake on and off a few times and pumped the brake pedal quite a few times while stationary too? You need to prime up the rear calipers before using 'em so that the adjusters take up the slack in the pistons enough to make the brakes work properly... 8)

I did notice pulling up the handbrake a few times helped bring in the pistons. my handbrake is almost vertical at this stage tho.

Yeah I mentioned doing this; it seemed to make a difference alright well a difference between having no brakes and having a handbrake of some sort.

Did you tighten the handbrake cable on that Golf? If so how/why was the cable loose if the calipers were knackered surly the cable would have been tight to keep the pistons out?

surly the cable would have been tight to keep the pistons out?

The pistons are kept out by the threaded bar inside the caliper - that's why the piston has to be wound back in, not just pushed. Once the handbrake has been adjusted so that the actuator is just sitting on the caliper endstop with the lever fully released, it should not need further adjustment during the life cycle of the pads.

Best wishes

RB

Ah right I should have figured there is no need to keep the tension on the cable when the piston winds back in. :roll:

Ill adjust the handbrake cable with the handle fully released, my new fronts are on now so ill be testing the pedal action pretty soon. :)

I finally got around to bleeding my system and as predicted and Im having trouble with pressure. I can get a decent pedal when I pump the pedal with ignition off but on turnover the pedal goes in quite a bit and is spongy.

Anyone any ideas why this is happening? Pumping the pedal on turnover doesn’t improve the deep pedal.