Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Will Golf MkII pollen filter frame fit Corrado?

I'm getting the summer pollen problems and have investigated getting a pollen filter and found a few links of interest.

The first is this:

http://www.vwgolf-mk2.com/epollenfilter ... ation.html

This guy talks about a "pollen filter frame" for the MkII Golf. If you look at the pictures you can see what is there before he fitted this frame is the same as what's in the Corrado (unless the pollen filter was available factory fitted, but mine doesn't have one).

Does anyone know if this frame is still available?

I saw an old discussion on here about pollen filters:

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

And the last comment was a suggestion (if I understand correctly) to simply buy a MkIII Golf filter and cut it size and place inside the existing Corrado leaf guard. But will this not mean that nothing is supporting it underneath and it'll eventually just get sucked into the blower motor?

I also found the following two companies who say they sell pollen filters for Corrados. I have asked them if they require any special holders and am awaiting responses.

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/pollenfilters.php

http://www.puravent.co.uk/filters/dispf ... VOLKSWAGEN

Anyone got any more info on a good solution for the Corrado?

I was under the impression that you only got pollen filters as part of an AC system. I may be entirely wrong, but that was my impression...

It'll fit the Corrado as the fan and scuttle inlet are the same.

Dinkus, no mate, pollen filters were an option on most 80s/90s VWs...air con or not.

EDIT - My bad, the MK2 housing is slightly taller. In that case, just stick a few coffee filters inside the mesh!

It'll fit the Corrado as the fan and scuttle inlet are the same.

Dinkus, no mate, pollen filters were an option on most 80s/90s VWs...air con or not.

EDIT - My bad, the MK2 housing is slightly taller. In that case, just stick a few coffee filters inside the mesh!

Do you mean the Mk3 housing is slightly taller? I think the previous discussion on here talked about a Mk3 housing being too big.

The first link I sent was about a Mk2 'frame' which replaces the leaf guard. I'm guessing that you need this frame or else the filter will simply be sucked into the air inlet by the fan and probably wreck it, so I think it would be risky to just place a filter under the leaf guard.

The MK2 one is the same as a Corrado as I have one on mine. I broke mine and it leaked so and I wanted a nice one so went to the local breakers and pulled one of a MK2. Like the look of the pollen filter though as I should have one of those on my MK4 air-con setup.

Jay

Like the look of the pollen filter though as I should have one of those on my MK4 air-con setup.

You should not need a pollen filter if you have ac and actually use it - The evaporator will filter out any pollen and it will disapper as condensate down your drain tube.

Most manufacturers are now not fitting pollen filters to new cars if fitted with clutchless compressors.

Pollen filters can cause blower fans to burn out in under 12 months if not kept clean.