Sign in to follow this  
devils_advocate

Fuel consumption

Heya

Just wnated to know what sort of mpg the vr6 got and the g60?

i am slowly being tempted towards the vr6.

Also as the vr6 does not have the supercharger and is overall a newer engine, does this make it more reliable?

I get around 30mpg out of my G60 on average. Push hard and it'll drop under 25, drive gently and you'll see high 30s. On a long motorway journey I'll see 30-32 normally.

Hi devils_advocate, good luck on starting up the VR6 vs G60 flame war again. I think we're all too tired of this one to go back over it again .. :)

I don't understand all the "unable to decide" between them. They're like chalk and cheese.

But in terms of MPG, read what it says in the Parker's used car guide and take that with a pinch of salt.

From most discussions around here (and there have been many) G60s and VRs come out round-about the same, fuel economy wise, with the G60 maybe edging it slightly in most circumstances. But then, that makes sense. You only get out what you put in, so the 160bhp G60 isn't physically capable of burning the same amount of fuel as the 190bhp VR6 without massively overfuelling or having a leak somewhere!

You get 9mpg at full throttle in third gear? A 1.8 can't pump as much fuel as a VR6, so there's something wrong there!

But it's a 1.8 though - no catalyst, and no lambda, and no closed loop running. That's where you get the more uniform economy from.

Also it's probably lower geared. That makes a big difference at cruising speeds.

It might have something to do with the redline being a tad higher, and the need to use it more often because of the lower power-to-weight ratio :)

The size of the lump doesn't have a direct correlation to fuel economy - back in my Mk1 GTI days my mate got 30mpg out of his 1.6 and I got 37mpg out of my 1.8 (both average figures, we both tracked our fuel & mileage). The main difference, aside from a slight difference in gearing, was the higher torque of the 1.8 and the way it was spread across the rev range - it meant the car didn't need as much throttle. Hence, better economy.