Sign in to follow this  
4stud

Power loss

Hi fellas,

Got a 93 2.0 16v Corrado and it's not accelerating as it usually does. The cat is fecked on it and some times rattles like a biatch. It still drives fine and will still fly along but takes a while getting up to speed. Is this because the cat needs replacing? Every now and then it will be fine.

I'm lost on this one so please help!

Craig

if the cat is screwed and not letting the exhaust gas escape then you will have a loss of power, get it sorted...

It could have blocked the silencer behind it. Happened to a friend of mine in his Passat. Ran like a slug but got to 90 eventually.

Pull the cat off and knock the guts out of it as a temporary measure. If it has fallen to bits try tipping the debris out of the silencer.

Gavin

This is the same prob I had with mine, it used to cut out and lose power etc. It turned out to be the CAT. However the problem was solved by itself when the internals of the CAT was exited from the exhaust system over time. I would take the CAT off and like h100vw says knock out the honeycomb in teh CAT so its just a through pipe and replace the CAT when the MOT is due. In addition you may want to consider changing the Lamda probe for good measure too.

Cheers guys, will take it off and give it a good shake as soon as i can. I might sound a bit phic now but whats a lamda probe? I take it thats the oxygen sensor. I'm only used to working on pre 1980 cars (less wires).

Craig

Lambda probe is the Oxygen sensor. You can check the output of it with a volt meter. I wouldn't go mad replacing one without proving its forked.

Gavin

Had a go, got pi55ed off, took it to 2 local exhaust places 1 was to busy the other didnt want to do it. Going to silverstone tomorow all weekend and it looks as though i'm having a slow drive up there.

AND WHEN I GET THERE AND I'M PUTTING UP MY TENT I BET IT WILL START TO RAIN!!

ATB Mr bad luck 05 C J House!