Sign in to follow this  
PaulG40

Hello Iam new, looking to get a corrado

Hello everyone, I have come across here to try and get some info on these cars before I possibly buy one.

I currently am a very proud owner of a Polo MK3 Saloon G40, it is a great car and is running 175BHP @ flywheel so is no slouch But (there is always a but) it's not a great car for cruising along the motorway as I do lot's of miles every week getting to and from work so i have been looking at getting another car.

seeings how I have always wanted a Corrado since I was 16 I am thinking I should get one.

I either want to keep the G40 and try and fund for a 16V or sell the G40 and get a VR6. Now I know this is going to sound daft but is the corrado a nice car to drive? The G40 is very frantic even when driving slowly it just always wants to drive fast and rev.

Hope you can help cos no mags with reviews actually say what the corrado is like to drive.

Cheers

Paul.B

Wrong question to ask, i think everyone on hear will tell you that the C is a great car to drive. And it really is, no matter which one you choose.

VR6- Motorway cruiser

G60- Torque monster

1.8 16v- Rev happy machine

all of them are great and and unlike the G40 they have brakes that work :lol:

Good luck. there are some nice cars on this forum for sale at the mo.

Yeah I have got the MK1 golf 285 discs on and although it improves it (especially at 120mph) but it still is'nt that great plus I've warped one and it's really annoying to drive at the mo. Thats one of the reason's I want a corrado cos they have all the bits and comforts a polo does'nt .

If I were u, I'd sell the G40 and get a G60 or VR6 m8!

I've had my Corrado 2.0 16v 3 weeks now, and am already thinking about upgrading the performance! Not that it's crap, just that I know there are faster ones out there! :) They are awesome cars tho mate! Excellent handling, and lovely to drive!

Get the best you can buddy ;)

But if you want exclusivity and more torque than Micheal Parkinson then it has to be the G60. Plus more scope for mods, if your that way inclined.

Don't worry I have been doing my homework and the VR is the one I want you can also get them bored out to 3.1 from TSR I think and that makes them silly quick. But first things first get the VR first, although I do like the way a supercharged car goes and I have really got used to it but the VR is more torquey in the manuals plus it's V6 so it must sound awesome!!?

So then anyone want a G40...............lol

I must admit I think I may regret getting rid of the G cos they are such fun to throw around a track cos they are so light and with the power I have it's just silly but for more potential out of the engine now I'd have to spend silly amounts of money.

i drive both and the VR is the better car out of the two, like you know to get more out of the VR you have to spend more than the G60 but the VRs engine is the dogs do da !!!

once you have driven a VR you will be smittened for ever trust me 8)

Hello alan, man I have caught the corrado bug bad this time but I think I have decided to keep the G and put it on limited mileage and strip it out and use it for track days.

I will get a corrado for daily user (if I can fund it) but I think I'll stick to a 16V or G60 as the VR will just be to costly fuel wise!

Then both dreams come true G40 and Corrado!! that would be cool.

Cool keep the G.

You will miss it, I want to get a G60 for everyday and keep the G40 for shows and track days too.

Alan

IMHO if you have a standard VR or a modded g60 the fuel cost issue is negligable... :?

My G60 tends to only give about 25-30 mpg around town/in traffic and the most I've ever had was 35.5 when I was following my mate in his missus' 1.3 golf to Cornwall and back (700miles!) :) The worst I ever got was 16mpg over 80 miles :shock: (I'm just glad I didn't get stopped! :lol: )

Saying that, I have got size 13 feet and lead shoes! :lol:

Having tested both VR and G60 while I was looking, the G60 suited my driving style (if you can call it that!) better than the VR... That's probably changed now 'cos I was used to driving 16Vs before and revving the hell outta them... Think my next C will be a VR... If I can get anything for mine... :?

Yeah my G is giving me about 60 miles to a tenner which ain't good!!!! the problem with the G is you can't stop flooring it and if a car goes past thinking he'll beat you you HAVE to prove your point (it's the rule you know.......lol). Nah truth is it won't give me any more than about 75 miles to a tenner even when not driving it hard it's just chucking so much air and fuel in it's mad oh yeah it also drinks 4 litres of water/methanol per 250 miles :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: sorry I just think that is the funniest smiley ever!!

HEY PAUL IM IN NEWCASTLE!!!!!

Look at my car in 4 sale sec. May even do cheap p/ex if anyone is interested

VR will do an average of 26-28mpg round town and up to about 35mpg on motorway........... cant see a G60 touching that.........

VR will do an average of 26-28mpg round town and up to about 35mpg on motorway........... cant see a G60 touching that.........

:shock: blimey scott!!!....is that letting your granny drive? :shock:.........i'm lucky to get 23mpg round town

Rory hello mate it would be great to meet up I can't promise that I'll buy it ..... infact I will tell you now I don't think I can afford it but it would be good to meet up.

Do you go out anywhere i.e saturday nights..... I don't normally but could meet up I need convincing a corrado is the correct way to go.

What do you mean by a cheap part ex?

:shock: blimey scott!!!....is that letting your granny drive? :shock:.........i'm lucky to get 23mpg round town

Really? - I find I can easily get 26mpg around town keeping the revs under 3k rpm... which I find is a brisk enough pace for town driving.... I constantly drive to Manchester which is 7 miles away and maintaining speeds between 20 - 50 mph all the way with some stop / starting I can see around 30-31mpg.... working it out from fuel cost and calculating it the trip seems very accurate too..........

I recently drove to London at a steady 75-80mph all the way and returned an average of 33mpg ....

Scott I do 28 miles in traffic on my way into Salford every morning and average around 25mpg over the course of a week... I recently went to Cornwall on holiday and followed my mate in his missus' 1.3 golf for 700 miles during the week and averaged 37.5mpg :D On one trip to the Eden project I got 38mpg with 4 people in the car (just under 60 stones total weight of people! We ain't small! :lol: ) and that ain't a nice flat road we're talking about! :?

There ain't a lot between G and VR in fuel consumption in the real world... Ignore what the paperwork said when they were released, don't mean squat now that the engines have worn in (and out again in some cases! :? ) truth is that the fuel consumption is mainly affected by HOW you drive the car...

Oh, and these are REAL averages worked out from paper reciepts and milages, not the stuff the MFA says... (which actually isn't that far out :shock: :D )

Really? - I find I can easily get 26mpg around town keeping the revs under 3k rpm... which I find is a brisk enough pace for town driving.... I constantly drive to Manchester which is 7 miles away and maintaining speeds between 20 - 50 mph all the way with some stop / starting I can see around 30-31mpg.... working it out from fuel cost and calculating it the trip seems very accurate too..........

I recently drove to London at a steady 75-80mph all the way and returned an average of 33mpg ....

my figures are normally

urban.........21-23mpg

steady 80-85mph.......32-ish mpg

as for 26mpg round town :shock: ......my wife couldn't even manage that with our previous car(BMW 318ti.....1.8 16v 4cyl....140bhp)and she is one of the most "economic" driver's i know

my round town figures are normally the drive to and from work(5miles each way)and a few short blats well into the 5k's......afterall you don't buy the VR6 for its economy :wink:........maybe it is acheivable but it kind of defeats the purpose of having any Corrado let alone a VR6

I think it boils down to what you want to do with the car.

(touchpaper time :lol: )

The G60 (when modded) is a real "drivers" car. It has far better balance & handling than the VR6 due to a lighter engine. The torque (in mine at least) is awesome.

The VR is smoother & more suited to motorway driving - although the 2 that I have driven also handled fairly well on the B roads.

If you like proper "eyeballs out" driving then it's got to be the G60

Rory hello mate it would be great to meet up I can't promise that I'll buy it ..... infact I will tell you now I don't think I can afford it but it would be good to meet up.

Do you go out anywhere i.e saturday nights..... I don't normally but could meet up I need convincing a corrado is the correct way to go.

What do you mean by a cheap part ex?

Well Paul i dont usually go out cruising or owt like that but have been PMing ChrisVR6nos and CorradoVR6nos bout the possibility of meeting up. CorradoVR6nos suggested possibly a meet this weekend (Sun for me cos im woeking sat). They say there are a few c's that meet up sometimes at the Team Valley or the Arniston Centre in Durham. Not far to travel and it means that you can see different c's to see if you like them.

By cheap p/ex what i meant is if your car is cheap (£1000-£2000 or abouts) i will p/ex as i need cash cos im moving away on my placement year at uni.

I would like to see some pics of your car as it sounds interesting. You could post some on the site.

Cheers Rory

Yeah I would be up for a meet up. Do you mean tomorrow? it would certainly give me something to do. I don't normally go out cruising either but if there are a couple of C's out then I would happily make it an acception to meet them who is normally out and are they out tonight?

I don't have any pics that I can uplaod at the mo but if you go to http://www.polo-gt.co.uk and go to the gallery then look at the MK3 section then go to the bottom of that page you'll see mine click on Paul Borthwicks G40 Classic. It's abit out of date engine spec wise as it's had lots done since last year. but the outside is pretty much the same.