Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Sunroof seal.

Hi Guys, Cleaned my sunroof seal today,not in to bad nick but it need blacking......its gone discoloured with t-cut,polish and the like........whats best to get it black again ?.........back to black - shoe polish - any good ?. or something else. Cheers chris.

MoonlightVR, yup... absolute doddle.....

...if you've got the sunroof mechanism out of the car... :twisted: :lol:

They look like an utter $hit to do otherwise... ;) :|

You mean the outer 'buffer' seal? That is an absolute piece of P.... undo 4 screws, panel lifts off, rip old seal off (it may have some black nonsetting mastic in it), tap new one on. 30 mins work if that.

You mean the outer 'buffer' seal? That is an absolute piece of P.... undo 4 screws, panel lifts off, rip old seal off (it may have some black nonsetting mastic in it), tap new one on. 30 mins work if that.

which bit are we on about then???...not the rubber seal on the outside?...

Iiiiinnnnnttteeeerrrrreessstttiiinnngggg..... I didn't know you could do that as easily as that... 8)

which bit are we on about then???...not the rubber seal on the outside?...

Yup, the outer seal isn't actually a water/weather tight seal, it's just to fill the gap around the panel... 8)

Yeah all it does is fill the gap as Henny says, the actual water 'resistance' is done by channelling the water that leaks past the seal (and tonnes does) into the gutter tubes. The roof liner gathers water from the rear of the roof (steel roof type) and sends it either left or right, depending on the incline, into the gutters, so it's critical the liner is fitted correctly and actually there!!

I've seen people remove the liner panel and wonder why the interior gets soaked overnight, LOL!

Anyway, yeah you slide the liner back when the roof is tilted and then you'll see 2 x M20 Torx head bolts on each side of the roof. Mark them with tippex, take them out, lift the roof out, fit seal, pop back in again.

There's plenty of scope for adjustment in those torx bolts to align the roof if it doesn't go back in the same place, and the settings are; -1mm lower at the back, -0.5mm front. If the roof liner is loose and bounces up and down over bumps etc, the alignment is wrong....it's mm perfect.

alternitavly...you could just get a bit of bathroom sealant...and seal the fecker up...thats what the dude that saysomestuff bought his car from did...worked a treat too :roll:

I don't want to spend £30, i want to know how to best blacken the seal again ...like i said its in good nick....so i would just be throwing money away.......i've got 3 kids that will do that for me :lol: .....cheers guys.

If you want to blacken the seal again, attack it with a toothbrush and some car shampoo, rinse, then rub in some back to black type stuff.