Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Dash Speakers

Quick question, how do you get to the speakers in the dashboard? Do the grills just pop off, or is it an underneath job?

Also what brand were factory original speakers? I've currently got JBL in the rear, and Sony in the doors.

Grills just pop off, then you're presented with round plastic housings with tweeters in the middle...which also pop out....

if I have 6x9 in the parcel shelf and some 13cm speakers in the door - is there any improvement with adding some speakers into the dash? tweeters I assume........?

Will have a look tonight see if they are still there.

lippy, yeah they deffinatly help for sound staging. I find even though my dash speakers are running off the HU and the door speakers are amped, its the trebbles off the dash speakers that come through clearest when you're driving.

Amp is the next step, not wired in my door speakers yet - maybe more thought required........can t have everything coming off HU - or can I?

bit of a noob when it comes to ICE!

standard setup in the late C has a tweeter either side in the dash which has a built in crossover (used to seperate trebble/bass into different speakers) the wires then run down to the doors for the (I assume - my doors were empty!) mid bass speakers. If you got a set of componant speakers with a seperate tweeter and mid you could run both off the HU since you actually wire the crossover in first, which then feeds both the tweeter and mid, much like the standard setup.

Componants offer a better sound since the hi/lows are split to speakers specifically designed to cope with them.

I did mine in stages so i've got some little full range speakers in the dash runnung off the HU which i added first and some infinities in the doors running off an amp which i added more recently for more umph upfront. I dont run the 6x9's that are on the back shelf, but I do have a sub in the boot. Its all budget stuff really, second hand kit and cheapish if bought new but its the best sound setup i've had in any car i've owned so far.

ripped out my old tweeters lastnight!! what a joke the wiring was lol...

got volt meter to check what wire did what, reconnected crossovers & fitted tweeters Ive had for ages!