Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

replacing bushes/balljoints etc

Getting a garage to change out the front bushes (wishbone ones) and tbh unsure as to whether to get them to replace the ARB bushes or the ball joints too?

Already decided against buying new wishbones with the bushes already pressed as it would end up being more expensive - or the same price if i was to attempt to do it myself!

Thanks

If you access to a car lift or pit Id put new wishbones with bushes in. If not get a set of powerflex bushes and get the garage to fit them.

Its no easy job getting those bushes out of old wishbones, Id definitely have a look at the anti roll bar link rods + bushes when doing this work as they can be in rag order on older cars.

I really am trying to keep this to a strict budget as I've already had to fit new rear brakes, get a new headlight, fit 4 wheel bearings and now the bushes (front and rear) - if the MOT didn't say anything about the link rods then I don't want to encourage any more cost!! Is it easy enough to go back and sort these rods/ARB bushes in the future?

Sorry for the questions but I am desparate to get the info and get working as the car badly need re-MOTed... :( What if any problems may I come across by fitting new wishbones myself? The garage seem pretty confident about replacing the bushes in mine - they seem to do it often enough as they work on old VWs. Also, if its definately worth replacing the ball joints then I'll get some on order!

Thanks again

You can replace the rods at any stage if they pass NCT then they are prob fine.

Get the bushes & ball joints from GSF and get the garage to fit them if they have experience with older VWs.

It can be a pain to get the old wishbones out if they are the originals, without the right tools you might round some of the bolts as some of them need convincing to come out!

Cheers.

I have been given a labour quote (thats FIXED!) for £150 to replace the 4xwishbone bushes and the 2xrear axle bushes. With a cost of £90approx for 2xwishbones with bushes + 2xball joints, then I would be best to fit them myself instead of paying them to do it! Sounds picky perhaps, but my wallet has been absolutely mauled this month already. How many hours work and how difficult could it be?

Agreed - certainly not interested in replacing the bushes from the original wishbones myself.

I got wishbones with bushes already in and they were v. cheap from GSF. It would have probably worked out more expensive only getting the bushes owing to the labour involved in pressing out the old ones and pressing in the new ones. For the sake of a few quid I thought it would be wise to replace the 115,000 miles wishbones with new ones.

Replacing the rear axle bushes can be tricky, Id leave that to the garage unless you’ve done it before.

I would consider doing the front wishbones if you were looking to save a few quid and get the complete set inc bushes from GSF. As Neil said you’ll pay for service costs taking the old bushes out of the wishbones.

Where did you get the price on the parts?

From GSF directly (not inc VAT)

Wishbones and bushes x 2: £64.xx

Ball Joints x 2: £12.xx

Delivery: £8-12 approx

---

£80-90 (exc VAT)

The garage are definately doing the rears, but if I can do the fronts I wouldn't mind - I totally agree, on a car thats done over 100K its worth replacing. Looking at it, if the garage naff one of the existing wishbones by struggling to take them out, then I will incurr more costs regardless of a fixed price. Hmmm

Just a question, would you change these parts taking into account only the mileage, or also taking into account the age aswell? My car has done 65k miles but is 10 years old, but I'm 99% sure it doesnt handle like a Corrado should handle, so most likely it is to do with the suspension parts, how should I go about this?

I think its really down to inspection. Nothing stands against the elements forever, but hard driving would surely shorten the life...

If I am right in saying so, most people seem to say that replacing the rear beam bushes makes the most amount of difference.

After I get all of my bushes/bearings done, youre more than welcome to come for a few drives in mine and see what you think after it. My car has a reasonably hard setup though - but hopefully may help.

So does anyone know roughly how many hours per wishbone I should expect?

Thanks again.

Dr Forinor, 10 years is the servicable lifespan that I would give any rubber suspension component. You are quite correct in your suspicions - rubber deteriorates with age as well as mileage.

My car's now 13 years old & last year I replaced ALL rubber suspension parts. As I'm a bit anal when it comes to things like this - I also replaced the front wishbones, ball joints, all 4 CV joints, etc. The only thing I have left is the rear axle bushes - these are being replaced next week.

My car now handles fairly well - with the exception of the back end - new rear axle bushes will sort that.

_leon_ - If your renewing complete wishbones, with the bushes already fitted - maybe 30-45 mins each side. Ball joints are a different "kettle of fish" - I had to remove the whole front stub axle assys to get my old ones out - what a pain in the ass. If the old ones come out easily - maybe add another 15mins per side.

After this work - your car will need a "laser 4 wheel alignment" to re-set the camber/tracking - usually around another £60 or so. Do not get the work done in a garage that doesn't have the neccessary laser alignment equipment.

Rear axle bushes - no re-alignment neccessary.

Don't make the garage think that you need 4 wheel alignment though as the C is only adjustable at the front. I'm sure there are lots of places that will tell you they've done the 4 wheel alignment to make an easy buck :)

The mechanics are a decent bunch of folk who are quite happy to tell me how to do things myself to save money - they all own similar cars so know how costs pile up too high sometimes...

For the cost of one hours labour (25 quid or so with them) I'd be better to get them to do the lot in one go I think. Just want to find out whether GSF provide new ball joints with their wishbones

_leon_, they don't... you need to buy ball joints seperately, but they're not expensive (£12 each IIRC)

Thanks for the replies stevemac and _leon_

Leon: Nice to have met you, and thanks for all the advice on the car. If you need an extra pair of hands with whatever, then I would MORE than happy to help out, I may not know a lot but I am good with my hands. Seriously, if you need more hands, call me out anytime, more than willing :)

Thanks a lot mate - offer appreciated. Good to meet and to be in a Corrado faster than mine :( ;) catch you again soon.

on topic again: wishbones and ball joints ordered :)