Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Oil pump on its way out?

Over the last couple of days my oil light occasionally comes on with that horrible beeping noise. When it does come on, if I dip the clutch and rev the engine it goes off.

Its only come on 3/4 times and always goes off when I rev it up, but I was wondering if this would be the pump or a sensor or possibly something else?

Is the pump easy to replace?

I assume you've checked the oil level ??

What oil & grade are you using ??

What model Corrado do you have ??

Maybe worth changing the oil pressure switch - could be faulty.

Pumps are an hour to do on a 4 pot. G60 has a special one. Check the level and then the switch. Also it may not be the pump but a partially blocked pickup pipe.

Gavin

Pumps are an hour to do on a 4 pot.
Geez - took me a full day, trying to remove the 2 sump screws next to the gearbox .. :shock:

If I ever have to remove & refit my sump again - I'll gladly pay somebody else to do it.

Steve and you usually find the easy way unquote.

Did you take the tin plate off the bottom of the bell housing? Two 11mm bolts? Then break out the 1/4 drive socket set. Proper easy then.

Just make sure the bolt holes are really clean of that oil and road muck blend that gets everywhere. I rinse the holes out with brake cleaner. Crossthreading them 2 can be bad news.

Before I got my 1/4 drive socket set, I once cut a slot in the head of those 2 bolts to put them back with a big screwdriver :mrgreen: Got a name as a bit of bodger when I was younger. Now, I buy the right tools for the job first instead.

Gavin

I'm with Gav here... I dropped the sump, did the big end bearings and put it back together again in under 90 minutes, so doing the pump is gonna be quicker 'cos it's only 2 bolts holding it in and lots less fiddling that trying to put shells in and moving the crank around! 8)

1/4" drive socket sets are DEFINATELY a MUST for the job though... ;)

Riley, spot flipping on mate! 8)

Great guide there... 8)

I've never put back those 2 bolts,i once tried using 2 rocker cover 10mm bolts and studs from a fiat uno engine but was still a pain.

i've just started to have the same problem, but my oil pump is about 2 months old, so i think i'll be opting for a new sensor, and a oil pressure gauge, just to be sure :)

mine does it, I haven't done the pump yet, but I don't think it is it. I have done the sensor.

I have noticed it does it coming down the revs at 2250rpm once the cars up to running temp - anyone else get this??? Doesn't seem to be effecting the car at all performance wise.

Also where's the best place to attach an oil pressure gauge? engine side obviously!

Oil pumps are generally very relaible items. Problems may occur if the oil has become contaminated, or if the car has been run very low on oil.

Most oil pump wear occurs when the pump is new - within the first few miles of use.

I keep getting people offer to buy my car & really need to sort this before I can! Anyone any more ideas?

nice, how bigger job is that?

Also, when it happened, did you find it happened always at the same RPM?

oh bollox! I thought as much!

I can see the mechanic from my garage booking his next holiday now!