Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

what is this orangey gunk on my hoses?

Hi All

Does anyone know what this is? Seems to be around these hoses and it looks troublesome.

I opened the bonnet because I could smell fuel and then saw this. Surely it is unrelated?

It seems that two hoses have some kind of discharge at the heat exchanger end.

Pic1pic2

that's what Rad Weld looks like when it seals up a leak... ;)

yeah I am sure it is coolant as they seem to be coolant hoses.

The stuff on the hose in pic 2 is of the coolant pipe but the leaks in pic 1 seem to be coming from the actual heat exchanger itself.

are they pricey and is it a dashboard out jobby?

Most dealerships add a tub of RadWeld (or similar) to new cars when they get them... Just 'cos you've never added it, doesn't mean that there's none in your coolant system unless you've drained it and refilled it yourself... :?

please tell me you just forgot to put the + on the end of the G12 in that last post? If not then this could well be the gunk you get if you mix G11 and G12... :|

Does your heater still work?

I'm not technical but i'll have a go ;)

Basically the coolants we all know about are G11, G12 and G12+ - G11 is NOT safe to be mixed with G12 and vice versa because its known that they can form some kind of weirdy gel which will clog the water cooling channels.

VW developed G12+ as a replacement for both, which can be mixed with both without any problems.

We're concerned that Nick might have replaced his G11 coolant with G12.. and even though he drained the system, traces of the G11 could still have remained and reacted with the G12.

Nick_Micouris, some places have been known to sell it without telling people of the dangers of mixing the 2 types... :mad: VAG won't supply it anymore... 8)

That gunk does look very much like the gunk you get when you mix the two though... and the fact that it's on the lines to/from the heater matrix which is one of the lowest points in the coolant system and doesn't tend to drain properly unless you flush the system through with a hosepipe, you can see where we were coming from... 8) If it's not G12/G11 gunk, and it's not RadWeld, then, to be honest, fuctifino.... :?

Does it smell?

what is possible, is that someone prior to me used either regular G12 or Radweld and it was never flushed properly!

Any advice on how to drain, flush and refil properly?

I have bought 5x bottles of VAG G12+

5? you only need one or two maximum! :crazyeyes: running it on pure G12+ will actually cause it to run hotter than it should!

Whenever I've flushed a coolant system I disconnect the radiator at the top and bottom hoses and connect a hose pipe to the lower pipe and flush it through until it runs completely clear from the top hose... Then I put the hose onto the top pipe and do the same again... Then do the same to the radiator... 8)

10 litres of coolant?!? Woah... that's a lot... The G60 only needs around 4 or 5...

If you're gonna fill it 50/50 then cool, that'll be fine (personally, I use 30/70 'cos it doesn't get THAT cold in the UK) just do a litre of water to each litre of G12+ so you don't end up with too much G12+ in there... (not trying to teach you to suck eggs by the way, just making sure that no silly mistakes are made... 8) )

cool Henny, yep 10 litres! madness!

I think I will need to clean out the heat exchanger too, what is the best way to flush that?

I am hoping that the heater matrix is not nackered!

heat exchanger as in heater matrix? With it all drained, I'd disconnect the 2 pipes that go through the bulkhead and shove a hose pipe in to one of 'em... you get the idea... ;) :lol: