Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

wheel bearings

quick question lads, how hard is it to change rear wheel bearings before i go and get my hands dirty?is there an inner and outer bearing or it a single big fat bearing?

cheers, Rob

inner and outer... they need pressing in, although you can do it with a correctly sized socket, a block of wood and a mallet... It's normally easier to replace the rear disks at the same time 'cos knocking the old runners out is a bit of a git to do...

not afraid to use a bit of hammer and socket action!!!

cheers for the info, ill look forward to the doing this job

Couple of tips, use the old rings to bash the new ones in. Don't over-pack the taper bearings with grease and don't over tighten the hub nut, the washer behind should be moveable with gentle pressure from a screwdriver.

In saying that, I managed it easily and everything came off first time with no hassle. I just squirted wd40 on the bolts for a few hours beforehand.

use the old rings to bash the new ones in

Speaking from experience I've found that to be a bad plan. If the old ring gets stuck it can be a bitch to get out. Better off using a suitably sized socket IMO

Weird, I found it easier using the old ones and a copper faced mallet, just made it easier to get the ring level....maybe I was using the wrong sized socket. Each to their own. :)

What size socket is it approximately...? My passenger side bearing is humming a little bit [/understatement] so think I may be attempting this before long...

The inner and outer bearing shells are different sizes. I can't really remember what socket sizes you need but I think it's something like 27mm for the smaller one and quite a big one for the larger outer one, maybe 34/36mm but I'm not sure....

@ kebabman, it has happened me a few times (though not with corrado bearings) that the old shell gets wedged in tight when you use it to bash in the new one, and it is a complete pain to remove when it does happen, so I don't take chances any more.....

gradeAfailure, ummm... I just use ones that fit... :oops: Never really taken much notice of what sizes they are, but I'm pretty sure the ones I use are imperial anyway... :roll: :lol:

just replaced the front wheel bearings instead!!bit of a pain in the hoop but we got there in the end.used a press on one side and the hammer/socket/old bearing technique on the other side.