Sign in to follow this  
Joniboy

VR6 cooling system pressure problem

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if my pipes are just getting old or whether I have a bit of a pressure problem on my VR6. It is a '92 and has done 78k miles (just FYI loike) ;)

It started about 4 months ago when I blew a hose pipe in heavy traffic. This pipe looked fairly knackered so I put it down to that. About 2 weeks later, the car started to over heat. I replaced the thermostat at this point and all seemed to be ok for a while but then it started to get hot again and blew another hose pipe going into the heater matrix. At this point the auxiliary water pump was making horrible grinding noises so I replaced this also.

So a month or so on all was ok. The temperature sat around 90 while driving and climbed to 110 in traffic, but fan soon cooled this down.

This is when the radiator developed a crack! On inspection, the top 3 rows had expanded to more than double the normal width. So one new radiator later, a full coolant flush out and a thorough hose pipe check, I thought it would be the end!

Nope, 2 days ago, the pipe going in to the top of the radiator has now got a 2-inch split in it!

Grrrrrrr!

Is there anyway I can check the pressure?

Any ideas or thoughts would be a great help.

Thanks

Jon

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if my pipes are just getting old or whether I have a bit of a pressure problem on my VR6. It is a '92 and has done 78k miles (just FYI loike) ;)

It started about 4 months ago when I blew a hose pipe in heavy traffic. This pipe looked fairly knackered so I put it down to that. About 2 weeks later, the car started to over heat. I replaced the thermostat at this point and all seemed to be ok for a while but then it started to get hot again and blew another hose pipe going into the heater matrix. At this point the auxiliary water pump was making horrible grinding noises so I replaced this also.

So a month or so on all was ok. The temperature sat around 90 while driving and climbed to 110 in traffic, but fan soon cooled this down.

This is when the radiator developed a crack! On inspection, the top 3 rows had expanded to more than double the normal width. So one new radiator later, a full coolant flush out and a thorough hose pipe check, I thought it would be the end!

Nope, 2 days ago, the pipe going in to the top of the radiator has now got a 2-inch split in it!

Grrrrrrr!

Is there anyway I can check the pressure?

Any ideas or thoughts would be a great help.

Thanks

Jon

sounds to me more likely to be all the other weaknesses in the cooling system coming to light with having the new parts fitted.....bear in mind its more than likely the rest of the cooling system is probably going to be over 10years old

Yeah that is what I was kinda thinking. I just get paranoid over such things, and after seeing the radiator like it was led me to think of pressure probs.

Cheers

:iamwithstupid: Yup, I'm with Rodders here... Once one part goes then it can be a chain reaction with the rest of the bits... You remove the weak link when the first pipe is replaced, from then on each bit you replace adds more stress onto the other old parts...

when it's running and warm, is the top hose on the radiator rock solid, or has it got some give in it? If it's rock solid then there may be a problem, otherwise :iamwithstupid: (man, I love that smiley! :lol: )

From memory the pipe had give in it, but seeing as that is the one that has now split, I will have to replace it to do that test.

Cheers matey :)

The pipe that's split is about £80!!

I'd look into an uprated front engine mount too because it's the slop in the standard one that causes to much engine rock, which eventually splits the rad top hose and also the head to matrix hose.

It's a faulty gearbox mount that usually causes the "slop". The standard front mount in working order should be adequate for most.

It's lower half of the front mount that gets squidgy with age and allows the engine to move back too easily....which subsequently stretches the hoses.