Sign in to follow this  
JT

anyone driven a 306 rallye!!!

a friend of mine is looking to buy one these and asked me what i thought but i could'nt really comment as i have never driven one, can anyone on here give me some pointers for him.

i had a 306. although it was a 1.9 deisil turbo it has the same sport kit and setup as the rallye. Fun car but not a a patch on a C, But tail happy. once it goes (without warning) it pulls the front out of shape and: well the morral of the story is dont go Rallyeing in it.

I had one for a long weekend - great fun car. Yes its tail happy but overall balance is better than a C. Very strong engine, real downside is the usual Peugeot flaky build quality

I think at least one guy here has some ongoing involvement with a 306 club. I can only go off the press reviews at the time, which said the 306GTI-6 was the best handling hatch on the market (late-90s), certainly better than the Golf to drive. The Ralleye is a lightweight version of the GTI so should be even better. I think the tendancy to oversteer was reminiscent of the 205, but a bit less extreme.

My mate has a 306-GTi-6, which is basically a rallye without the luxuries removed. Its a very good match for my VR6, mine has the edge on power and torque, but his has 6 speeds and slightly better handling. Of course mine sounds much better though!

well he is on about a rallye in white with fpsh 55000 on the clock for 4000 but i think he will be happy with what people have to say, he has had a vr and numorous golfs i think he just fancys a chnge..

A friend of mine has a GTI-6 Rallye and while I haven't driven it, from being a passenger/racing it it has excellent throttle response, decent handling (although the guy has had the back end out a couple of times) and it is FAST. He says that he has to back off in third as it starts to make him scared :-)

He posts on http://www.pistonheads.com so that might be a good place to direct your friend to.

Cheers,

Tom

I had a race with a 306 Rallye late at night from Kings Lynn to Norwich last year some time. I was in a 180bhp Leon Cupra and, although he couldn't pull away, I couldn't make up any ground on the 306 in a straight line. I was pretty impressed.

my flatmate has the 306 Rallye and I used to own a 306 DTurbo. His is just as quick as my G60, and really predictable handling. To be honest the build quality isn't that bad either - although my old DTurbo was horrible - rattled to b*ggery!

ZippyVR6, did you used to be on PGAC? There was someone on there back when I had a 306 called zippy...?

As standard the 306 DTurbo doesn't have the same suspension as the Rallye, and doesn't handle anywhere near as good. I'm supprised people think the back end tends to snap out, because I found it really easy to control (although I think it depends hugely on what tyres you have).

Not sure what else to say about it, other than I think its actually a pretty sound car, and a lot of fun to drive... supprising quick considering its only supposed to have 167bhp!