Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Weird windows

Well, as of this morning my electric windows only work if I have the driver's side door open. This is reguardless of whether I have the engine running or not.

Strange or what? I've had a look at the wee door switch and its connections. Nothing visually wrong with it at all.

I suspect its some kind or earth issue.

Oh, by the way the interior light stills comes on with opening the door and goes off after closing it.

T.

oh no!!

That sounds like a fun job to try and fix.

I wondered if it was an earthing type problem.

T.

Ive occasionaly had problems similar to that after using the key to lock/unlock instead of the remote. Something to do with the switch in the lock barrel sticking slightly. Probably wont make a difference as I havent heard of anyone else with the same problem but try puting the key in and turn it slightly then try the windows again.

I've messed about with the barrel a bit. Its just damn annoying. Get to a junction, need the window opened or close:- Have to open the fecking door and then do it.

I think i'll be using the old sunroof for fresh air for the moment. Unless its gives up the ghost too!

T.

I had this happen to me. It turned out to be a fuse had gone... from memory fuse 14. I think my mirrors stopped working too. I've got the early style interior and mirror switches so should be the same wiring as in a G60.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Yup, it was the fuse. It keeps occasionally blowing the fuse but I cant see what the problem is. The woring is in tip top condition.

Funnily, the electric mirrors dont work anymore, cant find anymore blown fuses. Any ideas for them?

Simon

electric mirrors are faulty and thus blowing the fuse?

check for the ingress of water.

got i miss being a sparky sometimes :lol:

MMmmm...... not convinced.

I shall perhaps try dismantling the mirrors to see if the wiring has corroded.

Bloody annoying so it is. A month ago everything was working spot on. I hate it when stuff dont work and I cant figure it out. Does my head in. Plus, I dont have the time at the minute to do anything about it.

Cheers

T.

VWs are actually wired so that the electric windows work when the driver's door is open - my ZX had the same feature!

You'll also find that when you stop the car and turn the ignition off, you can take the key out of the ignition and the windows will still operate, until you open and shut the driver's door. Handy huh?!

yup, that feature is handy.

Electrics must be slighty cowboy-ish, if when the fuse for the electric windows blows, so they dont work when you're in the car, but yet still work when the door is open!

:)

T.

Got the bentley manual out this morning and tested all the wiring to the mirrors. Power is gettting to the electric mirror switched for powering both the illumination of the switch and for powering the motors. But no power goes from that switch no matter what I try. So I guessing the switch is duff. I've also checked all the earth wires for continuity and there's no problem there either.

Any more ideas apart from the switch?

Ebay here I come!

T.