Will

Fault Codes

Just plugged my VR6 and got the following fault codes up:-

1- Oxygen Sensor no signal

2- Engine speed sensor

3- Idle air control regulation ad. range below min level

4- Hall sensor no signal

5- Mixture adj.

Oxygen and engine speed sensor I think I can replace after reading some old threads.

The hall sensor from what I understand is in the dist. and feeds the speedo... Does it have any other uses?

Also does anyone know common causes of the 3rd and 5th faults. Have no idea how to tackle these but want to get them sorted...?

Was the engine running?

That'd answer 2 and 4 if it wasn't... ;)

Yeah, read that somewhere in another thread... Can't really remember but I think it might've been off so i'll forget about them for till i plug it in again after sorting the other probs.

It would be easy to justify replacing the lambda at least (oxygen sensor no signal). That might also clean up the mixture and possibly even the idle reg errors.

Does hall sensor show up "no signal", like the crank sensor on early VRs? Crank sensor (engine speed) will always show if you've not got the engine turning.

Lambda probe, go to measuring blocks group 006 field 1 (lambda active).

With engine running and warmed up to oil over 80'C, is this field value oscillating about every 0.5 or 1 seconds with a value between 0.95 and 1.02? If not that value or it is rock solid on value 1.0, lambda probe has gone. That would explain 1, 3 & 5.

2 cos its ignition only.

4 doesn't show on a good engine if stationary. Looks like the ECU has wobbled. Clear the lambda and it may all come clean with the engine running when you read it.

Lambda probe, go to measuring blocks group 006 field 1 (lambda active).

4 doesn't show on a good engine if stationary. Looks like the ECU has wobbled. Clear the lambda and it may all come clean with the engine running when you read it.

Im getting similar readings, and after reading this, its cos the engine wasnt running. :oops:

How do I clear the lambda sensor? And go to blocks group 006 field 1??? :(

R T F M!!

I think that was a bit uncalled for. People get stressed out when they dont know whats going on, and maybe miss something, all it takes is a little direction, not someone swearing and giving them sh*t!!! :mad:

"Could" mean friendly, yes.

Anyway, enough of the rant. Ive just cleared the faults on my car, and run the test with the engine warmed up, and still running - NO FAULTS APPARENT :)

Well apart from the knocking still :(

Will How you getting on with yours mate?

I presume this was the fault code 00515 and you have a VR6 with a coil pack.

It will only reoccur when you rev the engine up above about 4,000 rpm.

When it's present in memory the ECU is forced into limp home mode which will retard the ignition timing and rev limit the engine to about 6,000 rpm.

If so,....

That fault if it reappears is separate. The infamous camshaft position sensor - £40ish and half hour DIY job. After new part is fitted, you must clear the fault before the ECU will operate normally.

Yeah not too bad. Don't actually have VAG.COM but a garage I've been to a couple of times did it for £20 and will clear and check again afterwards. Didn't note down the fault code stupidly....The car does have a coil pack though.

Maybe it wasn't code 00515 though as pretty sure the revs weren't limited to 6k :wink:

Will change the lambda probe and clean out the 'throttle body' (basically just a metal cylindrical thing towards the back of the engine bay), as the guy who did the test advised, and go from there. Hopefully it'll sort it - if not i'll get the exact codes the remain!

Thanks for the help so far.

How do I clear the lambda sensor? And go to blocks group 006 field 1???

Perhaps I should run some evening classes? What fee do you think is appropriate???

Measuring blocks is a parameter viewing option in VW Diagnostics on any ECU that supports it. And therefore if available in the specific ECU being interrogated, then VAG-COM will be able to present it all on screen when you select the Meas.Blocks 08 option.

For the VR6 engine ECU which you have been advised to check it is ...........

Group 006 field 1. - Open VAG-COM, select "Select", select "Engine", on next screen select Meas. Blocks 08. Now input 006 into the first field. In the windows next to this input appears field left - right, fields 1, 2, 3, 4.

Look at field 1 and read what was written in my previous note.

To clear the fault, you need to rectify the fault or it will re-appear. So if the probe looks faulty from my previous guidance notes, change the probe and then go to fault codes page and clear it. Also now check the probe is oscillating as per the previous note.. The fault should now not re-appear after you have driven a while.

Now you will need to "reset" the ECU to clear the old lambda offset presets for the ECU fuelling map as can be seen in field 2, 3 & 4, (the fundamental reason for this procedure in the CF Knowledge Base section guide on ECU Reset). And then perform the ECU "BASIC SETINGS" procedure to re-align the throttle and engine ECU.

The only way to do this is to disconnect & reconnect the battery, driven immediately for first 10 mintutes at least and after an hours use, do Basic Settings on the relevant Group number for your ECU as shown in the instructions in the thread.

Read this thread and also please read the manual that’s on VAG-COM Ross-Tech website so you are familiar with the software’s terms and actions.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... c&lighter=

"Could" mean friendly, yes.

Sorry mate, but didn't know if you had vagcom, or a halfrauds LED -based reader or even a few diodes and LEDs hacked together yourself.

No point us busting a gut to re-write the VAGCOM manual if you've not go it, is there?

Though I note that RW1 has re-written the VAGCOM manual anyway (again!). Perhaps you have more patience than I! :)

Trying to keep it simple for a beginner dr-mat. You're on "experienced" level. I expect more of you! :)

He will get there too.