Sign in to follow this  
markmcie

Boost return mod - oil vapour being dumped onto manifold

Hi guys,

I have fitted a nice big front mount intercooler with custom pipework which does away with the boost return pipe. The car goes very well with the intercooler and the noise is a nice touch but latley Im starting to notice some smoke coming from behind the engine around by the manifold. My thoughts are that oil vapour is being dumped from the throttle body and landing on the hot manifold and burning off.

Has anybody else encountered this problem when they have removed the boost return pipe ??? Is it a sign that my charger is letting too much oil through the system ???

Any advise would be great

Mark

My thoughts are that oil vapour is being dumped from the throttle body and landing on the hot manifold and burning off

yep that would mean yer charger is needing a rebuild then.

My thoughts are that oil vapour is being dumped from the throttle body and landing on the hot manifold and burning off

yep that would mean yer charger is needing a rebuild then.

It's not unusal for there to be a trace of oil in the boost tubes. Its only when there larger deposits in you boost tubes you need to start looking at reasons why.

Also mrkmce it might be worth you using a length of flexitube coming from your throttle body as you dont really want ANYTHING touching on hot exhausts etc.

There is a certain amount of oil in the boost tubes but noting I think is too much. Ill get the flexipipe just to re-route the blow off.

The car goes very well so I dont think I need the charger rebuilt just yet and I estimate another 5-7k before it needs to be done. Thats going by the receipt for the last service.

P.s. Can anyone recommend a place were I can get a boost gauge similar to the VDO gauges with the black face and green backlight and it dosent say 'turbo' ????