Sign in to follow this  
Craig

spoiler probs and g60 temp!

Was driving my g60 earlier on today on the motorway so managed to get the spoiler up a few times legally! and noticed sometimes it would only rise about halfway to three quarters up? when i pressed the manual switch it went up the last bit and then back down when i hit 12 etc.

it was raining and bit windy and i had the rear wiper on and off, dont no if this had an effect. just wandering if anyone had any other similar probs?

also i noticed a slight burning smell very faintly and just happened to check the oil temp and it was up at 124 'c! i no g60's run hot but whats a temp when i should start worrying about things? its all standard under the bonnet and thats the hottest its ever been, was doing near a ton though but still wouldnt have thought that temp?

Cheers.

Temp wise, definately get an oil cooler. JMR (aka 16VG60) do them for about £150 which might include fitting. Fittings not difficult in any case. He's based in West Sussex.

G60's run hot anyway and should have really come with an oil cooler from the factory but I suppose the bean counters got their way. Get it done and it'll pave the way for any mods you have planned. It was the first thing I had fitted to mine.

124 degrees is v hot!

the easiest way of coolingit will be to slow down tho mate...im assuming you were going slightly over the 70mph mark???

in the owners manual it says to start worrying (( or slow down )) if the oil temp exceeds 145deg.

Your spoiler problem is exactly the same as mine.

I've yet to find the solution.

Bet you're glad I posted that now eh?!

cheers for the advice! suppose its good im not the only with the problem big ted? if thats a good thing.only just noticed it, may have been like it for a while? have you had anyone pulling on it... i noticed it after my mum tried opening the boot by pulling on the spoiler!!! needless to say i jumped out and quickly pushed her off it!

ill have to give it a dab of oil then and hopefully this will help. any specific oil or just some good old wd40?

as for the temp an oil cooler would be great but as funds go im a bit resricted! short term looking to get a cold air feed in to the bottom of a drilled air box to help with some cool air, do this via the carbon canister removal!

And neil surprised you didnt recognise it was me? craig! i no where john lives. hopefully be down there the end of sept with my hard earned cash! hope things are well down your end :)

I've always used white grease on the spoiler and sunroof mechanisms... don't use WD40 as that will simply clean off any existing oil and make it worse in a few days time... ;)

cheers for the advice! suppose its good im not the only with the problem big ted? if thats a good thing.only just noticed it, may have been like it for a while? have you had anyone pulling on it... i noticed it after my mum tried opening the boot by pulling on the spoiler!!! needless to say i jumped out and quickly pushed her off it!

ill have to give it a dab of oil then and hopefully this will help. any specific oil or just some good old wd40?

as for the temp an oil cooler would be great but as funds go im a bit resricted! short term looking to get a cold air feed in to the bottom of a drilled air box to help with some cool air, do this via the carbon canister removal!

And neil surprised you didnt recognise it was me? craig! i no where john lives. hopefully be down there the end of sept with my hard earned cash! hope things are well down your end :)

Sorry mate, I obviously didn't put 2 and 2 together!!!! Doh. (Still harassing Camberley Auto Factors about the shocks by thw way :mad:)

No worries mate. be great if you got those shocks. keep us posted! if not then just one of things.