Sign in to follow this  
boab

MOT Faulire

Just got my car back and its failed its mot. No real major things, well at least i dont think so

2 Headlight, no beam patterns and intesity

Power steering belt needed

Offside rear suspension needs some welding

Front brake pipe needs replaced and a rear pipe, to compensator

Wipers inoperable??? they work but failed.??

Drivers door handle inoperable

So im on look for all above parts if anyone can help out, also what is the deal with headlights??? what pattern etc?? is that case of new bulbs or full headlight???

get an uprated loom mate , makes a massive difference (the lack of beam pattern maybe due to the lack of intensity) , the c headlights work on 9v but with age its probably getting less now. the new loom uses the 9v to switch relays to allow it to run a direct 12v

try h100vw aka gavin

dave16v does door handle repair kits or try ebay

thanks pm sent to h100vw and dave16v, the door thing easy enough to do? take i keep the existing handles??

i've done the loom which is very easy , no cutting of wires , just plug and play

never done the door handle repair (touch wood) buti imagine its just fiddly as most things are inside the door panel

now that has confused me, what is the upgrade people do with the wipers?? is it lupo or polo wipers??

they lupo gti ones, and that an easy job to do??

very easy mate , one bolt on each arm ...thats it :-)

ok now got brake lines on route, handle repairkit, welding being sorted, all i need know big is the headlight loom and something to do with window wipers although im having difficulty finding out whic part i actually need.

something to do with rear suspension, i think thats what he said, the whole headlight thing with the mot, what exactly does it have to meet to pass

Willing to bet that your wiper problem is to do with the linkage, the lupo wipers won't help you if this is the case.

You'll have to repair/replace the linkage to sort it properly. The two splined shafts that attach to the wiper linkage chassis are only held in by a crappy weld. After 14 odd years on the car, they detach and when the blade reaches the height of travel the spline moves the blade away from the window - giving the oh-so-familiar annoying "miss" across the field of vision.

The fix:

Take the wiper arms off, undo the bolts that hold the linkage into the scuttle, disconnect the motor. Jiggle, swear and remove linkage from scuttle.

You'll see what's broken straight away. Drill through both and pop rivet (or nut/bolt if you can find one with a head thin enough) back into place - et voila.

Of course, this is only if yer linkage is knackered. Otherwise, get some lupo aero blades :D

If there's no beam pattern, it suggests the reflectors are corroded/peeling.

Replacement units is the only answer if this is the case.

Wipers sounds like the ball-joints on the linkage have worn out.

The one on the end of the motor output lever is the most likely culprit and costs less than £10 from VW.