Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Think my head gaskets gone...(UPDATE)

:cry:

After having just had new oil seals and apex strips put in the charger,I took the car out for a wee run-nothing major,just a drive to flush out any gremlins and to get the charger run in-when there was a fairly big plume of white smoke out of the exhaust which followed me back turning into blueish-white. :shock:

Looked like a Mclaren F1 car just then! :twisted:

Got to a carpark and popped the bonnet to find the area around the MAF sensor on the inlet boost pie covered in oil,as well as the stuff pooling in the top of the gearbox.

Mostly confined to that end of the engine,but strangely,no sign of emulsion inside the rocker cover or the filler cap,nor anything around the head/block at that end either. :scratch:

Restarted the engine and all seemed well until after about 30seconds the blue/white smoke appeared again.

There was a very slight miss in the engine at low revs-between 1-2k-which disappeared at around 2500rpm.

No sign of the expansion tank level dropping either.

Suppose it'll haveter go back into shed for a strip down again.

Shame really,cos it was pulling along quite well too. :cry:

AH,BOLLOCKS TO IT. :p :puppydogeyes:

Just gonna break it up now for spares.

At least I might make some dosh to go towards my new motor. :|

thats bad news mate,hopefully it wont be as bad as you think it is...in the meantime sit back,relax and crack open a few cold tinnies

sounds like somthing as simple as a charger oil seal to me.

That's the thing-I've just had them replaced. :(

sounds like somthing as simple as a charger oil seal to me.

That's the thing-I've just had them replaced. :(

ok but they would still be the first thing on my list to be checking... go pull of the boost hose from the outlet of the charger to the cooler and see if there is any oil in there... *go do it right now to put ya mind at rest** :lol:

Yessir.Rightawaysir!! :lol:

only prob is,it may take a while-cars abandoned in a car park four miles away :oops:

Okay-had a look.

Looks like you could be right,g-man.

Do you still do seal kits? :lol:

no we dont sell rebuild kits unfortunatly for the reasons that if installed incorrectly the will blow instantly... i would get on to whoever done your charger and have a little word with them if i were you

i would get on to whoever done your charger and have a little word with them if i were you

deffo.....name and shame Blown, im gonna heva my charger done soon.....ill make sure i avoid whoever did yours!!! :(

Definate name and shame.. thats not too impressive at all.

why name and shame?remember the mistake stealth made with the vr6 in another thread..just have a word with whoever rebuilt the charger,if you get no joy then name and shame

Unfortunately my advice conflicts with Jim's on this occasion (and agrees with Dazzy, but not that that is a bad thing :))

Go to the people that did the charger as the first thing you do. Let them address the problem and then you can come and post back about the experience.

Hopefully it will be a case of [x] buggered up the charger rebuild but went out of their way to rectify it. And hopefully everything that comes from it will be positive.

No point turning this into a libel case ;)

why name and shame?remember the mistake stealth made with the vr6 in another thread..just have a word with whoever rebuilt the charger,if you get no joy then name and shame

totally agree... A polite phone call usally sorts things out...

Unfortunately my advice conflicts with Jim's on this occasion (and agrees with Dazzy, but not that that is a bad thing :))

Go to the people that did the charger as the first thing you do. Let them address the problem and then you can come and post back about the experience.

Hopefully it will be a case of [x] buggered up the charger rebuild but went out of their way to rectify it. And hopefully everything that comes from it will be positive.

No point turning this into a libel case ;)

agreed...

by the by....if the charger blows a seal in this way, can it cause direct damage to any other part of the engine?...just wondering if the reason charger servicing is so important is entirely to do with the fact that chargers are expensive to replace or is it becasue other damage can be caused aswell?. :o

I had a charger that blew an oil seal, within 180 miles of use..

did it do any further damage to your engine steve?....it seems as if the paranoia of charger failure will be the same whether i have my charger serviced or not....is the only reason for seal's to blow incorrect fitting?...or do they have a habbit of blowing?....

(( sorry to fire loads of charger questions..its just that its coming up on my list of things to do to my car and im not sure which way its best to go! :oops: ))

corradowales, My problem was that an incorrect seal had been fitted.

No engine damage at all. Daz (G-werks) sorted my charger out - I was driving the car there to have some other work done, when the seal went (It wasn't g-werks who fitted the incorrect seal). Correct seals, correctly fitted are usually reliable - so far as I know.

If you want some advice - get g-werks to rebuild your charger, when it needs doing. I wouldn't even consider taking my charger anywhere else.

cheers steve. If i stick with the G-lader theres no doubt that ill take it to G-works as its about the only company that i havent heard bad things about!!(( on the contery ive heard nothing but good things ))..i wont ask you who did yours originaly but its stories like yours that are makng me think that it might be worth having a different charger put in.

corradowales, Personally, I'd stick with the g-ladder. So long as the one that you have is a "good" one, you'll be okay.

The trick is to make sure that when you have the charger rebuilt - make sure that ALL of the bearings are replaced & not just the ones that may appear worn. The price of the bearings, in comparison to that of a new charger, is peanuts.

Even in a worst case scenario & you need to replace the whole charger, brand new ones are still available. A brand new g-ladder will still cost much less than the other types of charger available.

Good idea also is to replace the oil feed pipe - from the cylinder head to the charger. These are relatively cheap & easy to fit. Any blockage in your old pipe will starve the charger bearings of oil & will damage the charger.

Good idea also is to replace the oil feed pipe - from the cylinder head to the charger. These are relatively cheap & easy to fit. Any blockage in your old pipe will starve the charger bearings of oil & will damage the charger.

cheers....not heard that before...ill do that his weekend.

Good idea to remove & clean the adaptor union in the cylinder head when you replace the pipe. Renew the copper seal rings also.

:salute: ...will do....thanks again!.

Renew the copper seal rings also.

i spose these are cheap in VAG?... :?: