Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

If this is your last resort fella PM me and I'll buy it for you and ship it as a 'used car part' worth a few quid, you'll hopefully not get shafted on taxes. Obviously I need you to pay me back for it, it's not some philanthropic gesture out the blue!

Hey thank you very much for the offering! Just out of curiosity, the belt you would be able to get is it 7 ribs and which lenght? I found a site in Switzerland which have the belt, but for 175 USD including shipping, which is kind of high. They do have a belt 1686mm long with 7 ribs, which is the stock z-engineering belt as they say. They specialize in superchargers, so the guy was telling me that it measurement of the stock z-engineering belt.

Now of course, if you have the possibility of getting the same belt for a lowe amount, it would be great!

PS do you think we can do the payment with PayPal in case you can get the belt?

Appreciated mate, its a big BIG favor!

Cheers!

Sorry i'm crap on a pc, I was only putting in the words I wanted into the search without the = etc.

I'll try that in the future!

I'll let you off :D As I work in IT I sometimes forget not everyone knows their way round a PC, but Junkie should know better, he's been here long enough to know how things work :D

It doesn't help when the Advanced search link is barely visible due to some silly car being in the way!! Maybe we need to move that somewhere more visible.

Using what Rob said about Crazydave posting pics up in this thread, you can use that info in the Advance search as shown below. You'll soon get the hang of it!

Well for those of you who wondered how long a rebuilt 02A lasts with 500bhp... the answer is 5000 miles! Mine went pop last week :bad-words:

Now where can I source a 3.3 FD?

Knock the boost down...

Thats just not an option LOL!

fit an O2M...

Think this might be the long term plan.... or 4WD :norty:

I am definately considering a 3.3FD in the short term though, what box did you get yours from GVK?

LOL, you are definitely a boost junkie :D

3.34 is the standard VR6 final drive mate. I thought you already had that in your box?

I'm using the shorter 3.68 diff in mine (from the Corrado G60) and I'm of the opinion it's helped my gearbox to last 4 years. That and a laggier turbo :D

Well for those of you who wondered how long a rebuilt 02A lasts with 500bhp... the answer is 5000 miles! Mine went pop last week :bad-words:

Now where can I source a 3.3 FD?

So do you know what actually failed then?

I must be getting confused here Kev. I do have the standard final drive in my box (I never changed it when mine was supercharged)... but I want a longer FD (does that exist??)

So do you know what actually failed then?

Not at the moment, in all fairness im assuming its just bearings. However with the box off the car it gives me the opportunity change its characteristics, what I have noticed from quarter mile sprints and some spirited driving is that I would like each gear to be longer.

You'll need too look at some of the Diesel final drives then mate. I think there's an 02A gearing table in the gearbox thread.

Personally, I think taller is a bad idea with your levels of torque. If your engine is throwing huge torque at the gears and the you've got taller gearing, which makes the car harder to get moving, and the clutch doesn't slip.... the gears will break. This is exactly why TDI gearboxes are stronger.

As mine has the shorter diff, it's easier to get the car moving and once the car has momentum, any sudden torque will accelerate the car more, or spin the wheels. This is why Civic Type Rs are such quick cars with only 145lb/ft, the gearing is very short :D

Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs :D

Did you suddenly lose drive whilst accelerating? 3rd gear? I think you'll find when it's stripped down that one or more gears will be missing teeth :(

Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs :D

LOL not at all Kev, but I do understand the logic :D

I'll have a look at the drive ratio's in the other thread mate.

Did you suddenly lose drive whilst accelerating? 3rd gear? I think you'll find when it's stripped down that one or more gears will be missing teeth :(

Not exactly, I was in 5th, half way along the M4, doing 75mph in a flow of cars... literally touched the throttle to keep my distance from the car infront when all of a sudden POP! then a horrible grinding noise, some clicking too!

I'll post up my findings after the post mortem.

Sorry i'm crap on a pc, I was only putting in the words I wanted into the search without the = etc.

if i move down your way i would install it for you, how long you wanna wait for it to be fitted though??

Not exactly, I was in 5th, half way along the M4, doing 75mph in a flow of cars... literally touched the throttle to keep my distance from the car infront when all of a sudden POP! then a horrible grinding noise, some clicking too!

I'll post up my findings after the post mortem.

Touched the brake you mean? :D That sounds like diff pin failure but you had the wavetrak fitted, so the crownwheel should be bolted with ARP bolts? Can you still select all the gears? Does it drive OK, except for the grinding and clicking noises?

Touched the brake you mean? :D That sounds like diff pin failure but you had the wavetrak fitted, so the crownwheel should be bolted with ARP bolts? Can you still select all the gears? Does it drive OK, except for the grinding and clicking noises?

Sorry Kev, bad choice of words LOL. Nope, no braking involved! Just touched the throttle to keep up with the car in front.

Yep, I have the Wavetrak diff and used ARP bolts.

Correct, I can select all gears and it drives, grinds and clicks like a bast*rd though.

Certainly isnt like the last time my diff pin gaveway, this is what happened last time (when it was supercharged):

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

Did you go into boost when you tickled the throttle? I seem to remember Shaun saying his used to boost very quickly at the same driving speeds and loads. Same turbo etc!

5th is the smallest gear so easier to strip. Just wondering if you've chipped a tooth or 3 off it! Definitley sounds like a load related failure rather than general fatigue.

You can actually check / change out 5th with removing the box :D

if i move down your way i would install it for you, how long you wanna wait for it to be fitted though??

Thats a great offer and if i'm not sorted and the move goes ahead I may well take you up on it!

To be honest tho i've been asking for some pictures from the seller, but have'nt recieved any I've asked a couple of times but don't want him to think i'm on his case!

Spending that kind of money I want to see what i'm getting.

ANDREW30 yeh you have to be carefull when spending that amount of cash, get he's address and i'm sure someone on here would look at it for you and make sure its ok??

Did you go into boost when you tickled the throttle? I seem to remember Shaun saying his used to boost very quickly at the same driving speeds and loads. Same turbo etc!

5th is the smallest gear so easier to strip. Just wondering if you've chipped a tooth or 3 off it! Definitley sounds like a load related failure rather than general fatigue.

You can actually check / change out 5th with removing the box :D

Yeah with the 3076 the boost kicks in almost immediately at motorway speeds.

Thats interesting Kev, so I take it 5th is the closest cog to the end cap on the gearbox case.

I have bagged myself a low mileage CCM box (Golf VR i think?) so I will be pulling mine apart at the weekend and having a look.

I'm going to try setting up my DevilsOwn Meth injection kit tonight (This one: http://www.alcohol-injection.com/dvc-30 ... 2-305.html )

I'm sure drilling the holes and mounting the pump will be fine, but I just wondered how people get the wiring through from the engine bay into the cabin? Is it through the foliage seal in the scuttle panel?

There's a couple of grommets you can poke wires through to the right of the ABS pump just above the chassis rail. I wouldn't run anything through the scuttle area personally.

going back to the striped 5th gear theory Jammin, perhaps the clicking noise you can hear are sheared teeth getting moved about in the gearbox oil?

How regular is the noise, is it obviously a rotational kinda clicking sound or more erratic?

If the diff/bolts went, the car would be lurching a lot more IMO.

going back to the striped 5th gear theory Jammin, perhaps the clicking noise you can hear are sheared teeth getting moved about in the gearbox oil?

How regular is the noise, is it obviously a rotational kinda clicking sound or more erratic?

If the diff/bolts went, the car would be lurching a lot more IMO.

Sorry mate, I completely missed this post.

The noise was definitley more erratic and more crunching then clicking... it sounded horrible when I towed to my mates garage so we could work on it.

You are correct kev, on inspection 5th gear doesnt have many teeth left LOL. I'll post up some pics later :shock:

That's actually a handy gear to break if you're gonna break one as you can swap it out via the end plate usually, but I guess it depends on any other damage done?

The plastic sleeve on my shift tower wore out on mine, allowing some of the tiny little ball bearings to drop into the gearbox. One or two of them clearly got jammed between gear teeth because it felt like someone had shoved a bar through the wheel spokes!! Scary schitt.... but being a VW, it shrugged it off and carried on :lol:

If you're stripping 5th tickling the gas at motorway speeds, I'd say you need to look into slowing down the onset of boost somehow! I'm amazed the lower gears have survived this long with your torque!!

The first thing I have to say is I wish Iphones had better cameras LOL! :mad2:

That's actually a handy gear to break if you're gonna break one as you can swap it out via the end plate usually, but I guess it depends on any other damage done?

Yeah I can see your logic here Kev, unfortunately where it stripped so many teeth there was lots of swalf and chunks of metal in the casing, so this will require a full strip down.

IMG_1267_3.jpg

I think this was the first tooth to give way as its the worst damage on this cog

IMG_1268_2.jpg

This one shows the extent of the damage, more than one cog gave way

IMG_1264_2.jpg

If you're stripping 5th tickling the gas at motorway speeds, I'd say you need to look into slowing down the onset of boost somehow! I'm amazed the lower gears have survived this long with your torque!!

LOL, Yep, I can do that with the Emerald as it controls the boost. I have a feeling the damage was done prior to that particular day, as I have raced Astons, Ferraris and even an SLR... all of these were in fitfh gear on motorways and were hard on/off the throttle. I think there was probably a stress fracture on one or two of the teeth and I was just unlucky that it let go when it did. Still I suppose being stuck on the M4 is less embarrasing then being towed off the quarter mile :lol:

iPhone 4s have decentish cameras, so long as you keep it steady :D

Yeah that's some tasty carnage alright mate!!

If / when that happens to me, the 02A is going in the bin and my 02Q will take it's place :D

You need a GT35 mate, the 30 comes in too quick and shreds gear teeth!