Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Temp Senders ???

Hi, Ive done a search but cant really find what im after so ...............

Ive been having a good old look and clean around the engine today (1.8 16v) and have noticed three temp senders (or what look like temp senders :roll: ) on the left hand side of the head just below the dist. Question is what are these senders for and if they are faulty what kind of problems would I see ??

Last they all look like the orig ones so could probably do with being changed so where can I get some new ones from??

Thanks J

Ive had a topic reply email for this thread but when I clicked on the link it says that this doesnt exist :lol: Very strange :shock:

Bump :lol:

that would be me asking you if you'd tried the search.....then reading the post properly... :oops:

You can get the sensors from main dealer or gsf i think not that expensive really, i think the sensors are water temp ,oil temp and one other.

Hi, Ive done a search but cant really find what im after so ...............

Ive been having a good old look and clean around the engine today (1.8 16v) and have noticed three temp senders (or what look like temp senders :roll: ) on the left hand side of the head just below the dist. Question is what are these senders for and if they are faulty what kind of problems would I see ??

Last they all look like the orig ones so could probably do with being changed so where can I get some new ones from??

Thanks J

They're all water temp, oil temp one is round the back of the head, all 3 are identical and pretty reliable, they're for the dash water temp and the ECU.

If you suspect one, swap the contacts over and see what you get on the dash gauge, should all read the same level.

David.

I was talking to a guy a work today and he says the same 8) Thanks :D Im gonna change them around cos the gauge on the dash seems not wrong :( I think :lol:

Thanks guys

if the sender that feeds the ecu was dead,you would have no tickover. :)

cheap enough to replace the lot anyway,be carefull replacing them as the heads can snap off easily and leave the thread sat in the head.

neil.

I wouldn’t go replacing these unless your having problems with temp/idling, I had trouble with one of these switches it broke unknown to me when I had taken the head off. The car was idling at 3000Rpm when I got things back together and I couldn’t find out what was causing the problem.

Here is a photo I took at the time the switch labelled C was broken and the red and green wire & plug is hanging down. Im pretty sure it sends temp to the ECU and controls idle speed. Once I held the plug up to the switch the engine speed dropped back to normal RPM.

Im not exactly sure what each switch relays to where apart from C, perhaps someone can shed some light on this, I think switch labelled A with the yellow wire is a water temp sender.

16vswitches.jpg