A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

where did you get the red filter made up?

Made them myself. Easy, just time consuming and fiddly.[/quote:95219]

So you used a quality street wrapper then :wink:

I prefer the hazelnut caramel filter myself lol

looks better with red reversed lcd and blue illumination IMO or you could have it on a switch like mine, colours too suit your mood then. 8)

mine are red most of the time with the christmas traffic at the moment :mad:

there are no bright spots normally it just shows up in photo's :wink:

When you say reversed LCDs, you mean with the lights off the screens are black with white numerials?

yep and when the lights are on the numerals illuminate and the background stays dark

just need to carefully remove the polarised film on the front of the lcd screens and turn it around or find somewhere that sells the film and just put it over the dials as they are, and it should have the same effect

it will make them hard to see during the day though.. unless you're able to wire them up so the lcd's are always back lit

i never had a problem seeing mine even in the brightest sunny days in summer if anything i though they where easier to see compared to the ones in my caddy which are the same as standard corrado lcd's, black on white

there may be a problem with the glossy finnish to the display when turning the film around but that can be sorted by spraying a light coat of etch effect spray over the film to give a matt finnish 8)

where did you get the red filter made up?

Made them myself. Easy, just time consuming and fiddly.

So you used a quality street wrapper then :wink:

I prefer the hazelnut caramel filter myself lol[/quote:95f7c]

Please, i had 200mic textured PVC screen printed with translucent red ink. I don't bodge things. :lol:

just buy a roll of lighting gel (it's actually a film, not a gel... don't ask why it's called gel though...) from somewhere like maplins... you get to choose your colour and don't have to fart about with flattening out sweet wrappers :lol:

Could you make more of these or would it be too much hastle?

I can make them, but only in red. For blue i had to use disco film which isn't as good as i had to use two layers.

any idea where i could get hold of the polarised film as i might try making some kits up with the rgb led's ready to fit .........around 25 quid per kit :)

Greenweld sells it in strips. One strip will do both LCDs, but you need to cut it out at a 45degree angle from the strip so that it will cut out the light properly.... (it's due to the way the LCD's crystals are orientated... ;) )

hey! that was my line! ;) :lol:

Did you use the cleaning fluid or just flip over the polarising filter an re-assemble? I'm going to use two layers of film as my printed pvc is at work and i'm on holiday :D

I bought new polarising film from the link in my previous post... ;) 8)

I lightly scuffed it with some find sandpaper to make it matt rather than reflective, and I rewired the LCDs lights so that they were on with the ignition so that they really stood out well no matter how bright it was outside... 8)

I bought new polarising film from the link in my previous post... ;) 8)

I lightly scuffed it with some find sandpaper to make it matt rather than reflective, and I rewired the LCDs lights so that they were on with the ignition so that they really stood out well no matter how bright it was outside... 8)

Jobs a good un'. Scared myself a little by putting one of the LCD's together upside so it showed rubbish when i powered it up. Swopped it round, result! Red digits. Any one else get knightrider flashbacks when they first switched to red digits :?: :lol:

I'll post a pic once i've change the dials backlighting to blue. Cheers for the help guys!!

New pics below, decided to stay with red ilumination until i can get proper blue filters made as the film isn't diffused like the red filters i made. Big improvement i think. :D

damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks good. 8) How long did it take?

Not sure, i wasn't keeping track of time and didn't do it all in one go. I'd guess the whole process would take 4-5hrs. I can do it much quicker now i've sussed it.

and I rewired the LCDs lights so that they were on with the ignition so that they really stood out well no matter how bright it was outside... 8)

Cool, how do i do that?

looks better with red reversed lcd and blue illumination IMO or you could have it on a switch like mine, colours too suit your mood then. 8)

mine are red most of the time with the christmas traffic at the moment :mad:

there are no bright spots normally it just shows up in photo's :wink:

Help - I'm still confused! I want the blue dials and red LCD's, but the reversed ones. Getting the dials looks dead simple, but I still don't understand how the LCD's work. How do you get just the digits to glow?